How do you charge for meat birds?

My chickens refused fermented feed when I tried it. I didn't try with the chicks though. Maybe I'll try again eventually.
Interesting. Did it have a powdery white "foam" over the water in the container? Mine smells like beer, maybe because of the barley. The enzymes help. My birds stop fighting just to eat it.

Making fodder is supposed to lower feed costs and increase nutrition too.

I'm of the mind that we can eat whatever we raise so we don't need to take a loss to sell. If people don't want to pay it goes in my freezer. I don't sell a lot because I haven't really wanted to. Now we're trying to breed meat ducks and I'll raise some cornish cross in the spring, so I plan to keep track of everything. That way I can get a fair price for everyone involved.

With my set up, we automated everything we could. 100# auto feeder, 5gal auto waterers, anything to save us time. Time is money after all. We spent maybe 15min/day with the birds because of this. My last batch of 50 Cornish cross, we butchered between 8-10 weeks (roosters first) we charged $15/bird and made money. I fermented feed after the first 2 weeks, gave anything extra from the garden and farm. I don't remember the exact number, but we had just under $10 in cost, and about $5 in profit per bird. Most were sold before they were even butchered.

I could be wrong, fodder is sprouted grain, and ...what is the fermented feed, "fodder" as well?
Yes, fodder is grain grown over 7-10 days. Fermented feed is exactly that. You cover the grain with water and let it ferment for a few days. It's supposed to add microbes and nutrition. You can sprout grain too. Put a whole grain in a bucket, cover with water and a little apple cider vinegar. Put a air stone like for a fish tank in it. Change the water every day for 3 days. It'll soften and get roots. Also supposed to be easier to digest and more nutrients available.

Back
Top Bottom