How do you clean a poopy butt?

firechicken

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Covington, GA
My JG has got poo stuck to her feathers around its vent. It has done that before a little and just came off on its own. Now it is getting worse and I think needs attention.
So, any poo butt cleaning tips? Or do I just man handle it and get to wiping?
If ya got any tips or experience with this kinda mess and you think it'll help I will appreciate it.

I've never had a problem with an adult bird...hopefully someone else can tell you how they handled it. I guess I'd probably try trimming the feathers around the vent area.

the vent feathers can be trimmed. just don't cut too short.
then wipe off the rest with a damp cloth..
is it stuck to the vent it self?

please describe the color and consistency of the droppings.

what all do you feed your chickens?

I'd give it a bath and see if it happens again. Just soak the birds
butt in a bucket. No, it won't be happy but it takes a few minutes for
the water too loosen up the poop.

Just cut the soiled feathers away from the bird but leave some of the feather attached don't cut right to the skin.

Cut away extra feathers to the fall line of the droppings, if she is having wetish droppings then they will become soiled also... this will help to eliminate the soiled feather problem

Then you should be looking at the bird herself, to see why this is happening to her

If she has picked up a respiratory infection or cold, or something

This is why I would not wet her, as it may make the situation with her worse

What do her droppings look like .. describe them please

I think it gets like that if you feed them too many fruits or something. I had a couple get like that and i put them right into the sink and used the spray thingy with warm water to break it down. Then i towel dried their butts and put them back. I was going to keep them in til they dried, but i thought about how they stay out in the rain all day like dummies....so to towel dry them should be fine if you only clean the area that needs it. I would recruit a helper
roll.png

I haven't noticed any signs of a cold or anything. No runny nose or funny sounds, she is her usual noisy self. Have not observed her pooping recently so I don't know if it different from usual.
I feed them layer crumbles all the time and will throw out a little scratch in the evening. Sometimes I dig up a chunk of grass for them and sometimes bread.

I guess after I go see my great grandmother I will clean her up and see if it happens again.

Back
Top Bottom