How do you clean your eggs?

I gather the eggs from the nesting boxes, with just plain water from the sink, I wash all the eggs off and set the on a dish towel (I have one specifically for my eggs, so it won’t be confused with the other towels) and when they are dry, I put them in a carton in the fridge.

I rinse them in the sink, if there's stuck dirt or fecal matter I lightly scrub it off. Dry with a specific towel and them put them in a carton.
If I'm holding eggs back for incubating I don't clean them at all. I'll flick off any fecal matter but that's it.

If you leave them soaking in warm water, it destroys the bloom (membrane inside the shell). The bloom stops bacteria getting to the egg.

So I use cold running water and gently use a soft scourer which I only use for poopy eggs.

I generally put them straight in the fridge unwashed - if you maintain a clean nest box there shouldn't be poop or mud on the eggs. The only time I clean them is if I'm planning to hard boil, in which case I rinse under lukewarm water and scrub over the surface with a brush that's only used for eggs.

I only wash mine right before using them, unless they're really dirty. For a bit my run was very muddy (til I got 2 hay bales and it fixed the problem, save for where they scratch under it for bugs) and the birds tracked mud into it. And today I got an egg that must have been laid while asleep or something because it was next to the roost bar and that one is definitely getting washed!

I rinse mine under warm water when I go to cook them and cook my eggs thoroughly (either 10 full minutes hardboiled timer set at boil or when I do scrambled eggs I cook them til they're very slightly browned and completely dry no wet or gooey spots). I have to- I'm extremely susceptible to foodborne illness (gastroenteritis will land me in the hospital), and I also think raw or underdone (aka gooey) eggs are gross, to be honest. I also have a 6 and 9 year old so don't want them to get sick either, so all foods are well-done here. Still tasty though- not overcooked but thoroughly cooked :)

Back
Top Bottom