How Do You Conserve Food In The Feeders

I use food cups that came with my cages. The coturnix would have to jump in them to scratch the food out. Works for me. I had issues with my buttons dust bathing in theirs sooo I found an alternative to that. Take pvc and cut holes in it with a circular saw (I have someone else do it because I am prone to stitches), add little wood legs to it and it's a feeder
smile.png
The button pairs eat and then the males court their mates, and I change the food for them every other day
smile.png
I give them meal worms once a week now since the new pairs are still in the courting stage and the older pairs got upset. Silly birds.

Quote:
A hole saw may be a little easier to cut the holes with then the circular saw & less likely to cause the need for stitches.

Just speaking for my birds but they make as much mess with there beaks as they do with there feet so I still suggest keeping the level low & wet.

I use the long metal feeders with all my quail right now, when they are in smaller groups I use the bases of the round chick feeders. The key is to make sure that the feed level is lower than the feeder openings so that when they do scratch it around with their beaks it has no place else to go but to a different part of the feeder. My adults that are outside clean their feeder completely, I find very little if any dumped on the ground.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom