How Do You Conserve Food In The Feeders

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I need to know the best way to make feed last a long time. I was putting a new door on the cage today, and stepped on a nail. I can't walk too good. I need to be able to make the feed las as long as possible so I don't have to limp out there as much. Plus I need to save some money on the feed bill. Those little things spill so much food I could stand by the cage and catch it as it falls.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Use The Chick Feeder Strips... The Ones With The Lil Oval Holes In The Top For The Bird To Reach Thru And Eat? Those Are About As Good As Anything For Preventing Food Loss

3. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I use them in my grower pen, but I haven't tried them out in my breeder. I think I'll limp out there and give it a try.

4. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    I blocked off my feeder with poultry netting so that they can only put their heads in it to get food.

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That's a good Idea. Do you use one or two inch?

6. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Lelu has this same discussion going on over @ https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=413779 I use the same feeders JJMR is talking about & mix mash for them. I have just started putting the feeder on the outside of the cage where they cant get to it with anything but there head which seems t work(I don't suggest this if animals can get to your cage).

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i used a rain gutter and put it neck high in my chicken coop and i used pellet food and i maintain it once a day by fill it once a day when i lock them up at night.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:SOUNDS GREAT FOR CHICKENS... BUT FOR QUAIL? EH NOT SO MUCH... ONCE THEY FINISHED GETTING INTO THE GUTTER AND KICKING OUT WHATEVER FEED THEY DIDNT EAT THEY WOULD PROBABLY USE IT FOR A SPOT TO POO AND LAY EGGS... [​IMG]

9. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    I believe its 1". It was just a scrap piece I had laying around.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    My young ones have a chick feeder. They don't try to scratch anything out of it. However, they have bedding to scratch around in.

My older ones, well, the spoiled things have a frisbee for a feeder. They scratch their food about with great abandon. They are going to lose their food frisbee soon & get a chick feeder again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by