Large batch brooder ideas please!

Sammbalina

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2018
Shelby County, AL
Need an idea for a large batch brooder, waterer, feeder for ducklings! We are incubating 74 duck eggs and 14 goose eggs, so it needs to be a good size! We’ve never incubated this many at once, but we are starting over and since we have a cabinet incubator we figured go big or go home😅 My mom was actually wanting to completely fill the thing and it can hold over 200 duck eggs, so we didn’t go nearly as big as we coulda gone🤣. I’m thinking a metal shed with the door replaced with a screen/cagewire door for ventilation and a piece of wood either across the doorway or 2 feet in so we have space to walk in and for feed and water storage. Any other suggestions or ideas welcome! The feeder is probably a bit less of a concern. I have a ton of the long tray feeders and some gravity feeders which should work just fine but again, other suggestions welcome! Now I need ideas for a waterer for such a big batch of water loving babies! Those little dinky waterers for chicks and duckling are definitely NOT going to be big enough for that many babies and with how ducklings are I don’t want to use the typical 1+ gallon waterers either because omg the mess that much water would make!!! One idea I had was to use my bigger waterers and wrap some cage wire around it so they can stick their heads through but can’t climb in? Would 1x2 inch spacing work or would they get stuck? Other ideas? It’s been 3 years since I last brooded ducks so any other suggestions or tips for what I’m not considering will be helpful!

I agree, putting them all in a shed would probably be the best thing. That is a lot of ducks! TSC has got in some new waterers that you might be able to use as soon as the ducklings get big enough to use them. They don't make as much of a mess.

Back
Top Bottom