How do you cook mushrooms

NancyDz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Dutch Flat, CA
I have quite a bit of mushrooms... I helped set up for the Governor's breakfast
yesterday in Sacramento and came home with tons of fruits and veggies.

So I have Portabello, crimini, and some white buttons.... at least a couple pounds of each...

I have a few recipes but since my SO doesnt like shrooms... I usually only saute up a few
for myself. Need some ideas....

THanks

Nancy

You could always send them my way! Lol

Portabellas we usually sautee, but you can cook them up as a slab and put them on burgers (zomg, this is amazing). The button ones, if they're whole, you can make stuffed mushrooms, another favorite here.
big_smile.png
Gosh, I LOVE mushrooms!

If you have a dehydrator, you can use that and store them easier so they don't go bad. They don't freeze well.

Here is a Wild Mushroom Soup recipe. You can substitute the mushrooms you have for the ones listed. Here is the original link: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001541cream_of_wild_mushroom_soup.php

Cream
of Wild Mushroom Soup Recipe
Print Options
Print (no photos)
Print (with photos)
Ingredients
½ cup dried porcini (1 oz.)
½ cup dried morels (2 oz.)
3 cups hot water
½ lb fresh mushrooms of choice
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 heaping Tbsp)
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
5 Tbsp butter
8 Tbsp flour
Salt and Pepper
4 cups good quality chicken stock (or vegetable broth for vegetarian version)
½ -1 cup heavy cream
splash of Madeira
¼ cup finely chopped parsley
¼ cup snipped chive

Method
1 Soak dried porcini and morels separately in 1 ½ cups hot water each for 30 min. Line strainer with paper towel and drain porcini liquid, reserving 1 cup. Drain morels, cut off stems and rinse well under running water. Discard morel liquid. Wipe fresh mushrooms, cut off ends and slice thinly. Set aside.

2 Heat butter in heavy saucepan and sauté shallots with garlic until well coated and slightly transparent (about 3 min.). Add fresh mushrooms and cook a few minutes more. Add dried mushrooms, place a round of buttered parchment paper over pan, cover and sweat over low heat for 10 min.

3 Uncover. Add flour to mushrooms, blending well. If mushrooms seem too dry after a minute or so, add a small mount of butter. Add stock and reserved cup of porcini liquid. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 min. Season with salt and pepper.

4 Add cream to taste, Madeira, chopped parsley and chives just before serving.

Chef's note: Mushroom soup may be prepared ahead. For best appearance, be sure to add cream and garnish just before serving

hehehehe wish I could send you some Betta! Thanks for the ideas.... my sister just called and told me to clean the portobella, scrape out gills, then put tomato sauce and cheese and whatever else I want inside and them put it under the broiler or in the toaster oven for a pizza shroom... .sounds kinda good!

Nancy

Quote:
It's a type of wine. You could probably substitute sherry or some other rich sweet wine for that. Whatever you have access to. I would not use regular white or red wine, though. Cream Sherry would probably work well, too.

Shelly

Quote:
Darn I would have too! Next time
wink.png
Do you ever go to the Farmer's Market on Sunday morning? I used to sell mushrooms there for a local mushroom grower. There's two growers there with tons of different types.... very yummy!

Nancy

I'm from the South, we would dip them in an egg/milk mixture, dredge them in flour and deep fry them until golden brown. Dip them in ranch dressing and eat til you're sick.

Back
Top Bottom