How do you count your chickens?

@PippinTheChicken that sounds like a pretty good hatch rate for shipped eggs.
I set 7 in my little bitty Brinsea. 2 weren't fertile but I can't blame the rooster, he is 3years and has a lot of ladies. Out of the 5 left, 4 have hatched. I'm not holding out too much hope for the 5th one. I thought it had pipped but it just had a little shell on it from another egg.
Baby pics!
This one is the ee x olive egger
20210613_173601.jpg

These 3 are ee x (dark) brahma, although I do have a light brahma pullet and a buff, as well. I'm guessing based on egg size.
20210613_173549.jpg

@BDutch I have much better success hatching inside and giving them to the hens to raise. My hens are good mothers but lousy at hatching. Although, Maris (above) and her sister Mavis, have both had fair hatch rates when secluded.

How do you count your chickens (or ducks, turkeys, geese..) when locking them in for the night? 🐓🦢🦃

I count mine in groups, according to age, family, breed, etc.
For instance my 12 week olds (4), my 9 month olds (8), my 1 year olds (3), my young hens (4) my middle age hens (3) old girls (4), my 2nd coop(11) etc. I say everyone's name as I count, just because it helps me keep my count straight.
I don't actually count the little chicks because they are with their mama hens.🐤🐥 or in the brooder🐣 and I don't count cockrels or roosters either.

Also, by counting in groups, I don't have any real idea of the exact number of chickens in my yard. 🤣
I just start at one end of the coop and count across it front to back by collar tie. Mine mostly all sleep on my coops collar ties (2x4s that hold the rafters together). It wasn’t the way I planned but they just use my intended roost as ladder up to the rafters.

Preferably before they hatch.

In all seriousness, I only have 3 hens and 2 chicks (currently in a brooder in my living room), so it's not too hard to keep track of them :gig
Not hard yet. You get two now then three later. Then you’ll get the one that looks good with the other three. And you’ll need a blue egger but the one you bought actually lays cherry eggs so you need another of those. Wait - how did I get to 20?

Mama Maris took the chicks out today.
My granddaughter called dibs on names. I told her not until we can tell gender. I have the 4 four weeks old pullets that aren't named yet.
So far these are still going by their egg numbers; 7, 5, 3, and 1. It will be very confusing when I start counting them. 🤣

Attachments

• 20210614_141144.jpg
    20210614_141144.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I count them by order who ever is on the right of the roost to the left. I usually count broody hens first and then my nest sleeper...then, I move the nest sleeper on to the roost.
I have very bad counting skills, so I usually count them 3 times just to get the right amount 2 times to be sure...

Why would they need
To make sure no one is missing. Free range flocks could have birds who are missing. I count my ducks because they don’t like to sleep inside so I usually have all or 1 (never 2 or 3🤦‍♀️) so I have to make sure they are all inside before shutting the coop door . If you are finishing free ranging them you can count before letting dogs out.

Back
Top Bottom