How do you count your chickens?

Pics

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
How do you count your chickens (or ducks, turkeys, geese..) when locking them in for the night? 🐓🦢🦃

I count mine in groups, according to age, family, breed, etc.
For instance my 12 week olds (4), my 9 month olds (8), my 1 year olds (3), my young hens (4) my middle age hens (3) old girls (4), my 2nd coop(11) etc. I say everyone's name as I count, just because it helps me keep my count straight.
I don't actually count the little chicks because they are with their mama hens.🐤🐥 or in the brooder🐣 and I don't count cockrels or roosters either.

Also, by counting in groups, I don't have any real idea of the exact number of chickens in my yard. 🤣

Here's #5
20210612_064122.jpg

#7 & #5 have been relocated. They were placed under a mama hen.

I count by color. 4 black and white hens, 2 blonde hens, and 1(used to be 2) red hens. I don’t count the chickens at night only in the morning cause they never give trouble about going in.

at night I count the ducks in the run. Right now in the summer it is usually 3 anaconas and one Indian runner. In other spring and fall it will be one Kefi drake or Danae the runner (@Callender Girl I can relate) if I go out too late i have trouble finding danae in the dark. “Is that Danae?” Nope it’s a rock. “what about that?” Just a shadow . “Danae?” Then a shadow pops up and starts darting around.🤣

Back
Top Bottom