How do you count your chickens?

Pics

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
How do you count your chickens (or ducks, turkeys, geese..) when locking them in for the night? 🐓🦢🦃

I count mine in groups, according to age, family, breed, etc.
For instance my 12 week olds (4), my 9 month olds (8), my 1 year olds (3), my young hens (4) my middle age hens (3) old girls (4), my 2nd coop(11) etc. I say everyone's name as I count, just because it helps me keep my count straight.
I don't actually count the little chicks because they are with their mama hens.🐤🐥 or in the brooder🐣 and I don't count cockrels or roosters either.

Also, by counting in groups, I don't have any real idea of the exact number of chickens in my yard. 🤣

I just look in their run (which they can’t escape), and if there are no chickens in there then I look their door. I will than pat my broody’s and watch all there interested heads looking through the door, and than go inside.

I never count mine.
Is it weird that I don't even know how many hens I have at the moment? 😉

I think it's 15, maybe 16. Was 60

Predation keeps the numbers down lol.
I'll go check now.
We have raccoons. I see tracks around the pond daily and my husband killed a sick one a few weeks back.
We haven't seen any other predator in a while, unless you count the nasty buffalo gnats that killed one of my brahma hens a couple of weeks back. 😪
I also had a young hen who kept getting onto the roof of our travel trailer. She jumped off one day and broke her neck. A shame, she was a sweet olive egger, but not so smart.

Back
Top Bottom