How do you deal with chickens that are obsessed with you?

madwomn

Songster
Jun 26, 2012
I recently purchased this little girl (guy?) from a local who had a laundry basket full of 100 sexed chicks. I chose this one because I keep an assortment of bantams (I live in town and can keep more chickens if I keep bantams
big_smile.png
).
The difficulty is that this chicken, whom I have named Custard, who lived with 99 other babies and had little to no human contact before I bought her, is completely obsessed with me. Don't get me wrong. I love her (him?), but she cries like I'm killing her if I walk away, she sits on my arm or my lap while I'm working on my computer (and she can't type worth a darn, though that doesn't stop her from trying), and heaven forbid I should put her in a cage to mow the lawn.

She's also spazzy and noisy in the extreme. I'm sitting here on the sofa with a chicken on my arm, but two seconds from now, when she's finished cleaning herself, she's likely to jump straight up in the air and run in circles for a second, then squat down, then jump up, run past and peck me wherever's handy, then strut around looking at me like I'm at fault. She rides the dog around like she's a rodeo cowboy and the rest of the time when she's not digging at my hand to make a nest shape so she can relax in comfort, she's in perfectly competent flight.

At 9 weeks, she's just a little bigger than a robin.
Is all of this because she's part OEGB or do I have yet another brain damaged chicken?

The bruise on her comb is from jumping into the coop with the rest of the girls (I was in there!), where my lead hen promptly gave this girl a little religion.
If you think she's a he, would you tell me why? I'm a novice at that part of chicken keeping and if this kiddo is male, it will be the second time I've chosen wrong and have to find another place for a rooster. I'd like to stop myself from doing it again!

I definitely think it is a he! The big, red comb, for only 9 weeks of age is a dead giveaway. I'm also seeing the start of some pointy sickle feathers (the ones that start just in front of the tail). Sorry, I can't explain the rest of the behaviors to you though....

Back
Top Bottom