How do you decrease humidity in Styrofoam bators?

Floppy Pheasant

Songster
Jul 29, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm new to BYC but have
hatched my own Ringneck Pheasant eggs (I have great hatch rates with them )
My question is,I'm using Styrofoam bators (Little Giant 9300 and hovabator)my lLG is perfect for my pheasant eggs but I'm attempting a dry incubation for Brahma and silkies.
I'm in Pennsylvania and the humidity is high,how can I keep them at 30% from day 1 to 18?
My bators are dry and running RH at 40-50,Temps are a steady 99.5,I'm waiting on my eggs but need to get this humidity controlled.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I don’t know about Brahma eggs but I do breed silkies and hatching at a consistent 30% might be to low for them. Each hatch is different and you really need to go by how the air cells are growing and adjust humidity accordingly. But with Silkie eggs I am usually around 40-45% humidity, very generally. Again, I know some breeds do great with low humidity but the silkie eggs are usually very small and will loose moisture pretty easily. As for your question about lowering humidity when it’s to high without any water in the incubator....I’ve had this problem with peacock eggs and I bought this stuff at the dollar store, I might have a pic...it’s a plastic container to controller moisture and it has these little beads in it, I used a cup and filled it up with the beads and put it in the incubator and it worked like a charm. I found the pic, I’ll post below.

Attachments

• 5952CC04-560F-4552-ACCB-97DAFBEBA899.jpeg
    5952CC04-560F-4552-ACCB-97DAFBEBA899.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 3
I never would have thought of that..thank you,I actually just bought a NurtureRight 360 from Tractor Supply,I'm, unfortunately doing a staggered hatch ..I've tried the higher humidity with silkie eggs in the past,they just would never hatch.
I assume because the humidity in my house is like 70-80% this summer,that's why I'm thinking lower the RH in the bator.
It's so frustrating.

I never would have thought of that..thank you,I actually just bought a NurtureRight 360 from Tractor Supply,I'm, unfortunately doing a staggered hatch ..I've tried the higher humidity with silkie eggs in the past,they just would never hatch.
I assume because the humidity in my house is like 70-80% this summer,that's why I'm thinking lower the RH in the bator.
It's so frustrating.
Just go by the air cell growth. You can’t really go wrong that way. And if you’ve had issues in the past then experimenting is a good idea. There’s so many variables for each hatch, so find what works for you! :)

Back
Top Bottom