How do YOU deep clean your coop?

I normally don't put the litter from the coops into the runs. It is too valuable and goes on my tomato garden spots and raised beds and over the winter everything breaks down nicely for the next spring's planting.
Neither do I as there is no use for it. My hens already put some in the run so :confused:

How do you manage your coop now that helps you keep from cleaning often?thanks!

Poop boards! Actually, poop tables for some of us - so the poop falls neatly into a raised section of board instead of the floor. Then it's right there at easy scooping height for daily cleaning instead of trying to separate the floor bedding from the nightly poop barrage.

Poop boards! Actually, poop tables for some of us - so the poop falls neatly into a raised section of board instead of the floor. Then it's right there at easy scooping height for daily cleaning instead of trying to separate the floor bedding from the nightly poop barrage.
Same here. But scooping is done once a week. Complete bedding refresh done in the fall. Happy healthy chickens. Coop not a source of smell, just eggs and entertainment.

Same here. But scooping is done once a week. Complete bedding refresh done in the fall. Happy healthy chickens. Coop not a source of smell, just eggs and entertainment.

In the summer we get away with about twice a week when the air is dry and warm - but this time of year the poop moisture doesn't evaporate, and with around 130 birds … that gets messy quick, even with poop tables.

When I was growing up one of my best friend's father had a small, commercial chicken/egg operation. Not of the caged variety, the birds(between 50 and 75) were housed in a fairly large--50 X 100'--coop with an outdoor pen about as large. Every two years he sold off the birds in the spring and got new ones. Then, and only then, did he clean the coop--I remember it well because it was my friend's job to do it and, somehow, I always got roped in to help. The point being if you give your birds enough room and are diligent about adding bedding, you shouldn't need to clean as often. Not that there is anything especially wrong with doing it more often, it just isn't necessary for the well being of the birds. If, on the other hand, things get messy and smelly very quickly I would suggest maybe you should increase the size of your operation or cut down the size of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom