How do you determine the difference between BQ and SQ

ronkonkoma

Crowing
7 Years
May 4, 2014
Long Island NY
And at what age can you tell? Thank you ;)

Looking for 2-3 show quality hens or pullets for kids to show. Would love bearded splash, paint and white. I understand right now paint can only enter one category and that's o.k. :)

Show quality and breeder quality. Different folks have different definitions of exactly what these terms mean. In my mind, a show quality bird is one without any disqualifications that is representative of the breed standard and variety. Ideally you want a bird that will compete well with other birds of the same breed and variety.

Breeder quality is an even more elusive term. Many use the term to mean a bird that doesn't quite make show quality. Some expect that breeder quality birds have no disqualifications. Personally I do not agree with either of those definitions. To me breeder quality is a bird that has something valuable to add to the offspring. For example, if you have a bird that is absolutely stunning, but has an easily bred out disqualification, I would consider it breeder quality. Also, what is valuable to one flock may be different than what is valuable to another.

Since you mention paints, I assume you are talking silkies. Paints are not a recognized variety, although they are popular and a number of silkie breeders are working on them.

Show quality and breeder quality. Different folks have different definitions of exactly what these terms mean. In my mind, a show quality bird is one without any disqualifications that is representative of the breed standard and variety. Ideally you want a bird that will compete well with other birds of the same breed and variety.

Breeder quality is an even more elusive term. Many use the term to mean a bird that doesn't quite make show quality. Some expect that breeder quality birds have no disqualifications. Personally I do not agree with either of those definitions. To me breeder quality is a bird that has something valuable to add to the offspring. For example, if you have a bird that is absolutely stunning, but has an easily bred out disqualification, I would consider it breeder quality. Also, what is valuable to one flock may be different than what is valuable to another.

Since you mention paints, I assume you are talking silkies. Paints are not a recognized variety, although they are popular and a number of silkie breeders are working on them.

I would agree with most of this except the DQ part. A DQ is a disqualification and not just a point deduction for a reason. Even if easily dominated by other genes, it can crop up again and again in the future, particularly if it is a recessive thing. A bird with a DQ would have to be exceptional in all other respects to qualify as a breeder quality bird for me.

Quote:
So much depends on where a person's flock IS and where they are aiming. Birds that would have been useful to me 5 or 10 years ago are not now; my flock is overall much closer to the standard and where I want to see them than back then. But by the same token, my project birds can often still benefit from a bird that I would not use in my recognized variety flock.

Personally I don't have a problem using a bird that is absolutely awesome, but has incorrect toe count. Not only is that easily bred out if genetic, but it can be an incubation issue as easily as a genetic issue. I'd rather use a single combed bird than one with an ugly bumpy or lopsided walnut comb. Of course, in boh cases, I'd rather use a perfect bird, but sometimes that isn't a choice one is given.

Back
Top Bottom