how do you dye chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ButtonQuailBoy, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    Just wondering...

and how long does the color last and is it harmful...

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The eggs are injected with the dye...it can take months...they must molt for sure. Not sure how long or how soon it goes away though.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Do you mean how do they dye chicks for sale or how can you humanely dye your own chicks?

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I would like to hear both if you dont mind !!

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Aside from injecting they may also dip them in peroxide to bleach them and then use a dye. Either way it's not humane and illegal in many states now.

I've never had an issue with using a little food coloring or kool aid on an already light animal. I know some oppose any type of coloring or dressing up animals but those ways are at least completely nontoxic and will wear off in a few days- weeks. The danger with chicks though would be they could get chilled and sick if wet. I also colored on my white jap chicks with nontoxic markers to tell them apart since I couldn't find leg bands small enough. I carefully went from base to tip of several wing feathers so they had multicolored stripes. It was noticeable for about 3-4 weeks while they were growing feathers and then I did it again when they were older and it lasted about 6 weeks. A few little spots are still noticeable 8weeks later if you look closely. There is no way I would agree with to seriously lighten a dark animal for using dyes.

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I heard from one of my friends that while they were in school they injected dye into the egg on day 18....what the heck kind of dye would be safe and sterile enough to inject into an unhatched egg??? Apparently they had a high hatch rate...90%....even after the dye!

7. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    doesn't one of the hatcheries offer colored chicks for easter? Just curious. Sounds silly to me, dying chicks and/or ducks for a holiday. Or any animal for that reason. They don't celebrate holidays, why do they have to 'dress up'? Especially if that is at risk to their health. Just my little ol' opinion. Good question/post though!!! I am glad I know how they do it now. Thanks!!! [​IMG]

8. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:I know ideal offers them around Easter... If I remember right they are actually cheaper then undyed chicks. I never liked the look of them myself.

It is also said it is used for identification.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Food Coloring is used at Easter by hatcheries to dye the chicks for sale.

10. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I know Ideal dips their chicks in food coloring, which is pretty harmless. I see nothing wrong with the dying of animals . . . it's the selling of dyed animals I object to.
    Sometimes I dye my animals for no particular reason. I drop a few drops of food coloring on and comb or rub it in. It gives a mottled look, not a solid one, but I think it looks better because I can make swirls of different colors, polka dots stripes, etc. It only stays for a week since I just use those cheap little coloring bottles you can get in any grocery store, but honestly if it lasted any longer I'd never do it. It holds the same appeal for me that doodling on my skin does . . . it's more interesting to write on than plain old paper, but I want to be able to wash it out because I like my skin in its natural form.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by