How do you eat canned peppers?

I use frozen peppers in Mexican cooking. My family eats a lot of that. I can't think of any reason that canned peppers wouldn't work.

I fire roast some of the red bells and freeze them, and they get used in fried potatoes and all sorts of salads. If you canned those, they'd be used like pimento.

If you like things hot... and you must or you wouldn't have grown them, try stuffing them with raw italian sausage, and then baking them in spaghetti sauce. Temp 350 til they are nice and tender....cover with foil til the last 1/2 hour. I actaully turn the oven down and just leave them for a couple hours if I am not in a hurry. Can also be frozen , stuffed and tossed into sauce while frozen and baked.
tongue2.gif
delish! And make a bunch, cuz they are that good!

For cayenne type peppers I dry them, then crush to use. You can also make hot pepper vinegar by pouring hot vinegar over them, very attractive. For jalapenos, etc I freeze them whole or chopped and take what I need to add to dishes like salsa, mexican dishes, soups and anything I want hot.

For the benefit of others reading this thread, you can chop or slice any type of pepper and freeze them. Things like pepper steak taste wonderful in winter when peppers are totally ridiculous in price and from who knows where. It makes winter meals easier and better. You can also freeze chopped onions. No blanching, etc.

You can roast peppers on the grill, stove top or under the broiler until skin is blistered and browned. Cover and cool a bit then peel and seed them. You can freeze these or can them. You can make pimento and cheese from these (pick your heat level or use sweet or pimentos), roasted red pepper hummus or whatever you like.

Back
Top Bottom