How do you ever leave home?

skhomer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Homer, Georgia
We're trying to go away for 5 days (Hubs and I, together, alone, oh my heavens) for the first time since we got chickens in early March. He does morning animal duty and I take evening. Oh the preparations involved. Maybe this is why farmers didn't usually travel a lot.

I've ordered the motor from Add-A-Motor for the auto coop door, auto feeder is built but not feeding terribly well without a regular shaking, and aqua avian masters are ready for the auto waterer. We've had 2 chickens fly over the 6ft run fence (at 2 separate times in the last 2 months), so we have a cover ready, just have to dig a hole in the center of the run for the support post. Northeast Georgia, no rain a't'all plus way hot temps = very hard and dry red clay.

Our nearest neighbor has chickens, but we don't really endorse his way of doing things (cracked corn only, "not spoiled" like ours, etc.), so we'd rather not depend on him for anything but the (hopefully not) emergency. What are we forgetting? Something, I'm sure, maybe more.

How do people do this?

Last edited:
Um, I don't.
lol.png

I get one guy to feed the goats, and my neighbor (who has been provided with a coop and chickens by myself) looks after thechockens, dogs, and cats. I always hate to leave, love to return. You really should have someone look in on them daily, just in case.

Call a nearby vet and see if they have any pet-sitter recommendations. The woman who watches our other animals would be fine to do the chickens as well. Just a quick rundown of what they require, or a once-a-day stop-in to make sure they're doing okay. Might be worth the peace of mind.
Another option is to find other chicken keepers in your city and make friends with them. We have a few friends with chickens, and I know one of them would happily step up to the plate and help if we asked. MOST chicken people love other chicken people and appreciate each other's chicken love.
love.gif

Quote:
Hmmm, and I already promised myself I wouldn't add to the flock next spring .... oh well, I don't think anyone believed me anyhow :)

Quote:
Hmmm, and I already promised myself I wouldn't add to the flock next spring .... oh well, I don't think anyone believed me anyhow :)

You should get yourself an incubator or broody hen - I sell hatching eggs.
lol.png

Quote:
Thank you Krissteff, I was thinking of looking for a service to let the pups out for a mid-day break while my oldest son is at work - he lives very close by and can do early mornings and early evenings .... but has little to no experience with the chickens .... I call them tomorrow -- Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom