How do you feed your flock?

1. My Flock consists of 12 Ducks. 2 Rouen Hens are 6 years old, two Mallard Hens 2 years old, one Mallard/Rouen Drake is 2 years old, 2 Muscovy, a Hen and a Drake, 1 year old, Khaki Campbell Hen, 6 months old, 2 Mule Ducks, hopefully Hens, Muscovy/Rouen crosses 3 months old and 2 gray Call Ducks 3 months old.
2.They are fed Layer pellets, flock raiser and scratch grains from either Rural King or TSC.
3. They are fed in Rubber bowls from TSC. Three different locations and they are filled each morning for them.
4. For treats they get to free range and get lots of bugs and some grass daily while I am doing chores in the pen. The area they are in is fenced off to keep them safe and outside of their pen.
5. In the winter they have heated water bowls and more food since there is no grass in Ohio that lives through our winters. It can get icy and snowy so taking care of them can be a real challenge but I love them so they are worth it.
6. For treats they also get garden food that I chop up for them that they love. They would never touch table scraps as they are only into their feed or garden scraps it seems.
7. I hatched out three of them in my living room so they are very special to me. Sorry this is not in the right order, I did not know how to respond correctly to the questions. Thanks for asking.

I was going to do a poll, but there are so many options…please leave a comment answering the following:

1. How old are the members of your flock(s) & what does it (do they) consist of?

2. What feed do they get?

3. How often do you fill/refill the container(s)?

4. What feed container(s) do you use?

5. What do they get besides regular feed? (Scraps, treats, feel free to be as specific as possible).

6. Does your method of feeding change in the winter months, if so, how?

7. Anything else you’d like to add.
Ok, so #1 from 3mths to 3 yrs. Various breeds of chickens.
#2 Game bird starter, scratch w/ sunflower seed and other treats
#3 Daily or so
#4 5 gallon buckets with holes cut in them
#6 scratch has corn in it vs no corn in warmer months

I was going to do a poll, but there are so many options…please leave a comment answering the following:

1. How old are the members of your flock(s) & what does it (do they) consist of?
Two are 3 years. six are 21 weeks. Two or three of the pullets are now laying. Still trying to figure that out.
Just switched to layer pellets, from Ventura Grain in Taunton, MA.
Side containers of Grit and Oyster shell.

We have one 5 gallon bucket for water. We refill using a one gallon pitcher. Using the pitcher eliminates having to carry a heavy bucket.
We have a PVC feeder that fits about two one gallon pitchers.
They went through about 1.5 gallons of water and a little over on pitcher of feed in 5 days. There is very little feed waste.

5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples.
PVC hanging feeder.

5. What do they get besides regular feed? (Scraps, treats, feel free to be as specific as possible).
Dinner scraps, crushed egg shells, non-moldy fridge clean out. The only time they get real treats is when the grandkids want to feed them.

We switch to game bird pellets for a few months when egg production slows.

We went away for 5 days recently. Our neighbors did a wellness check each day, which consisted of 8 chickens up and moving. And they scored the eggs.
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• feeding.JPG
    feeding.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 7
I have three 14 week old pullets - a speckled Sussex, a feather footed cuckoo Maran and a Blue star

they get just under a litre of wet mash, sometimes fermented. its still the chick starter formula that they started on

every morning. I give them snacks in the afternoon (garden greens, veggies etc) and give them some dry food as a snack before they head to bed

a cast iron dutch oven that I had laying around

kale, squash, tomatoes, apples that have fallen or have bites out of them, lettuce that has been nibbled, any veggies that are questionable from nibbles, and scraps from kitchen (mostly veggies) and occasionally they get plain yoghurt and a tsp of birdseed

not sure yet since it's my first year with them but as I get a lot of snow, there won't be much fresh garden stuff. I might try and keep sprouts growing for them

Currently I have 38 chickens, 3 are roosters. They range in age from 2 years-8 weeks. Breeds are barred rock, Australorp, Red sexlink, brahmas, Wyandotte, Welsummer, Ancona, Phoenix, bantam cochin, polish.

I mix All flock crumble, layer pellets, and scratch in a 32 gallon trash can.

I don't have feed containers, except for when
they are chicks. I give them about 6 - 8 cups of food in the morning and in the late afternoon.

When they are chicks they have a long feed trough thing.

They free range, get table scraps daily, the occasional homemade suet bars, leftovers, eggs that I forget to collect

The way I feed doesn't change but in the summer I give them watermelon.

All a bit over a year

Scratch and peck organic layer feed

Every day

A tray

Scratch grains, table scraps, meal worms, whatever they forage and the occasional horn worm off the tomatoes.

No

I have 4 pulleys and 2 roos. All hatched 9.3.22 Americana’s
DuMor Chick Starter/Grower or if they‘re out of stock I buy Purina Chick Starter
3. How often do you fill/refill the container(s). Oyster Shells, mealworms, bugs that they find, grit. Omega Egg Maker that was gifted to me that I add in sometimes just because.
I need to buy a larger feeder, right now i refill twice a day if they aren’t free ranging.
To small plastic feeder. ceramic bowls, pie tins.
Cooked oatmeal, scrambled eggs, crushed egg, squash seeds, I process up left over veggies.
I’ve only had chickens for just under five months, so I don’t know.

Back
Top Bottom