How do you feed your guineas when they are part of a mixed flock?

Nope, you're not wrong... I just prefer to raise my keets on Amprolium medicated feeds for the first 6-8 wks since I hatch/raise/sell a million keets each season (ok not quite that many but it seems like it's that many come September each season, lol). I definitely do NOT need a cocci outbreak in my brooder system, nor do I want to send any keets out of here with a borderline cocci overload that may end up taking them out shortly after they are sold with the added stress of being caught, handled, and transported to a new home. The only starter feeds I can get here that are medicacted are only 27 or 28% tho, otherwise I would go for the 30% if I could.
I thought Amprolium is highly toxic to keets?

Amprolium is Corid. It is not toxic to keets.
Thanks. That’s good to know. I don’t know much about pea fowl. Don’t have any myself. But a friend got some and I had read that medicated feed was very toxic to keets. I know they need a protein level in line with what poults need. But today I read it can’t be medicated. I was doing some research for her. She has them in a mixed flock with chicks and has them on medicated feed. She is supplementing their diet with crumbled egg and game bird starter separately, several times a day. I know this isn’t ideal but it’s what’s reasonable for her. I’m glad to hear that medicated feed isn’t toxic. What I read was very adamant about not giving this to keets. It could be I’m missing the big picture here but I don’t think so? Do you know what they may have been thinking of when the article cited this? I’ll see if I can find the link.

Here’s the link Backyard poultry magazine
If you read the article, it’s down near the end where it says medicated feed is highly toxic to keets. This article was featured in an email that went out via email to all subscribers yesterday. It actually cites the article in the subject line of the email. Maybe I’m misunderstanding? @R2elk
This is how misinformation gets viral. I’m glad to hear that Amprolium isn’t toxic to keets. I was starting to worry about my friends birds. I’m sure glad I didn’t jump the gun and call her!
on a related note, the article also states it’s very difficult to keep pea fowl males with roosters? Do you find that to be true?

Thanks. That’s good to know. I don’t know much about pea fowl. Don’t have any myself. But a friend got some and I had read that medicated feed was very toxic to keets. I know they need a protein level in line with what poults need. But today I read it can’t be medicated. I was doing some research for her. She has them in a mixed flock with chicks and has them on medicated feed. She is supplementing their diet with crumbled egg and game bird starter separately, several times a day. I know this isn’t ideal but it’s what’s reasonable for her. I’m glad to hear that medicated feed isn’t toxic. What I read was very adamant about not giving this to keets. It could be I’m missing the big picture here but I don’t think so? Do you know what they may have been thinking of when the article cited this? I’ll see if I can find the link.
The problem is that there is a lot of misinformation out there. Most medicated feeds contain amprolium but it is not the only type of medication that is available.

Most game bird or turkey feed that is available is not medicated with amprolium because there is a conflict between amprolium and bentonite.

The problem is that there is a lot of misinformation out there. Most medicated feeds contain amprolium but it is not the only type of medication that is available.

Most game bird or turkey feed that is available is not medicated with amprolium because there is a conflict between amprolium and bentonite.
Gotcha. I’ll check into that for her. Thanks.

Here’s the link Backyard poultry magazine
If you read the article, it’s down near the end where it says medicated feed is highly toxic to keets. This article was featured in an email that went out via email to all subscribers yesterday. It actually cites the article in the subject line of the email. Maybe I’m misunderstanding? @R2elk
This is how misinformation gets viral. I’m glad to hear that Amprolium isn’t toxic to keets. I was starting to worry about my friends birds. I’m sure glad I didn’t jump the gun and call her!
on a related note, the article also states it’s very difficult to keep pea fowl males with roosters? Do you find that to be true?
I would never refer anyone to that site. There is a BYC member that goes around from time to time posting that medicated feed is toxic to keets.

Neither actually comes out and say what medication is the problem or why it is a problem.

@PeepsCA always fed her keets medicated turkey or gamebird starter that contained amprolium. I choose to believe the expert.

I do not feed my keets or poultry medicated starter because it is not available to me.

I am sure that if amprolium was toxic to keets that the manufacturers of Corid would post a warniing on the label saying to not use it with keets.

Gotcha. I’ll check into that for her. Thanks.
You may want to mention that if a medicated feed is being used it is very bad to dilute the feed in any way such as the extra treats. The medicated feed has the proper amount of medication for the conditions. It does not contain extra medication to make up for treats, etc. If wanting to supplement feed with other items, it is much better to use a non-medicated feed.

You really don't want to start producing medication resistant strains by using a diluted dose that will not kill them.

Back
Top Bottom