How do you feed your guineas when they are part of a mixed flock?

To understand that, you have to see the front of the coop:

Wow! Thanks, Kilsharion and Peeps for all the great information! I needed that, especially on the fermented feed. I read some about it earlier, and they made it seem so complex, and I know people through the ages doing it had to have had a simpler method or they never would've done it. Thank you for making it so simple!

I have a degree in Biochemistry, and am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to 6, so I joke that I use my degree to put Neosporin on cuts and teach. Now I can add "fermenting", lol.
Seriously, I have wanted to get into more fermenting because of the health benefits, so this is a nice, easy way to start. Have you ever read "Wild Fermentation?" I started to buy that a couple of times and haven't, but I wondered if you know of a good beginner's resource book for fermentation in general?

I LOVE the old west theme of your coop, Kilsharion! Too cute! I was reading some Louis L'Amour books recently, and it made me laugh to see that. I'll have to show my husband. We are supposed to move to a bigger place for the animals, and we're not building big coops yet. We have converted our shed and green house into chicken and duckville to keep out the predators, but no proper coop yet. I hate being in limbo. Until we move I'll have to do chicken tractors and free range.

I love the pics of the babies, makingshift! Cute!

I have poor impulse control, evidently. I just bought what I think is possibly Blue Swedish at the feed store yesterday. It was just so cute. Thankfully I kept my sanity and said no to the rabbits. We started with 8 chicks when my husband went out of town, (he he), and it has grown into the guineas, geese, ducks, chickens empire that we have today. I love them all.

Here's the new duckie! What do you think for the breed? It is a bit larger than the other duck baby we have that is a mallard. I tried to sex it at the feed store in the hopes that we got a girl for eggs. I used the Metzer Farms video on You Tube to try it, so I hope we did it right. The video was great! :)

and another:

Last edited:
I refer to chickens as the "gateway bird." Once you get into chickens, you want to try other fowl. I first got my chicks 8 years ago. Stuck with them for a few years, hatched some eggs each summer for two or three years. Then I decided I wanted some ducks. So I ordered some ducks.. Then a couple years after that, I decided I wanted some Geese, but I had to get more ducks, too. So I did. Last year I dove into the wonderful world of peafowl. I've acquired 14 of them. :) And now I'm on to Guineas.... :) Just got my first 30 eggs today. I can't wait!

Wow! Thanks, Kilsharion and Peeps for all the great information! I needed that, especially on the fermented feed. I read some about it earlier, and they made it seem so complex, and I know people through the ages doing it had to have had a simpler method or they never would've done it. Thank you for making it so simple! I have a degree in Biochemistry, and am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to 6, so I joke that I use my degree to put Neosporin on cuts and teach. Now I can add "fermenting", lol. Seriously, I have wanted to get into more fermenting because of the health benefits, so this is a nice, easy way to start. Have you ever read "Wild Fermentation?" I started to buy that a couple of times and haven't, but I wondered if you know of a good beginner's resource book for fermentation in general? I LOVE the old west theme of your coop, Kilsharion! Too cute! I was reading some Louis L'Amour books recently, and it made me laugh to see that. I'll have to show my husband. We are supposed to move to a bigger place for the animals, and we're not building big coops yet. We have converted our shed and green house into chicken and duckville to keep out the predators, but no proper coop yet. I hate being in limbo. Until we move I'll have to do chicken tractors and free range. I love the pics of the babies, makingshift! Cute! I have poor impulse control, evidently. I just bought what I think is possibly Blue Swedish at the feed store yesterday. It was just so cute. Thankfully I kept my sanity and said no to the rabbits. We started with 8 chicks when my husband went out of town, (he he), and it has grown into the guineas, geese, ducks, chickens empire that we have today. I love them all. Here's the new duckie! What do you think for the breed? It is a bit larger than the other duck baby we have that is a mallard. I tried to sex it at the feed store in the hopes that we got a girl for eggs. I used the Metzer Farms video on You Tube to try it, so I hope we did it right. The video was great! :) and another:
It can get complex if you let it - just like most everything in life. I've found people to be extremely complex in how they incubate and brood...I guess growing up around my GUncle Sam and Granny, I'm a bit more......I don't think "lax" is the right word, because it's pretty clear I'm a bit paranoid about my chicks/keets being well taken care of. But, I guess it's kind of like when you hit kid number four+. You're still going to take care of them, absolutely; but, you're not going to treat him like spun glass, either. ((Mother of seven, grandmother of (soon to be) 10)). You have a degree I could never get. I understand the science behind it; but, my lab professor refused to let me back in the lab after failing Chem lab three semesters in a row. I get in trouble when I try to measure so exactly. Which is what I was trying to do in chem lab because they stressed it so much. I get in the same trouble when I try and measure for hanging photos, cutting wood to make something, cutting material for a pattern, etc. I do much better if I just eye it and go. My husband thought I was being facetious when I said that one day. So, while I was cooking, I reached over and grabbed the measuring spoons and emptied out what I had in my hand (supposed to be 1tsp)....it was 1tsp. I did that through the rest of the meal prep. Would pour out what I said was X and he'd measure it. Right on the money every time. Not down to the grain like my chem lab needed; but, I bet I was a whole lot closer that way than when I freaked over every grain/drop. :gig Instead, I went after astronautical engineering. :oops: Now, I'm a network development engineer. Oh yeah, that degree got used... :rolleyes: At least your ability to learn (which is something taught, not necessarily a natural behaviour) is being passed on to your children by you homeschooling.....and, they are gettinga quality education. I've not read "Wild Fermentation" though it sounds like something I will have to pick up. I've read a lot on the history of fermentation throughout the ages, particularly in respect to mead; but, I've not read that particular book. Thank you for the compliment on the coop. We have a series of them planned with coop+run then garden then coop+run etc to keep the deer and rabbits out of my gardens and give me the coop and run space I need. I tried and tried to think of a way that we could do it so that my neighbours wouldn't be upset (I live in an RE zone where people are rather particular - no HoA, but...well...peer pressure is a PITA). It dawned on me that we could do "false fronts" like they used to do, and my husband jumped on the idea. So, the next in the series should start in about two weeks. It's going to be the saloon and will be named "The Broken Yolk". My husband is talking about doing artwork for its sign - an egg cracked with yolk running out of it. Whether he does it or not remains to be seen :gig I don't see why the shed and greenhouse wouldn't work great as temporary quarters. It gives you time to plan out what you intend to have when you get where you're going, and provides a great environment for them during the holding period. I bet they are loving it. :) We had zero outbuildings on our property, so it was build or don't get your birds. Rabbits are actually very easy to take care of if you do decide to get them. We used the prototype "small coop" (a-frame tractor) that my husband built before he built the bigger "small coops". The rabbits are absolutely loving it, and I have to say it's a delightful design for them. They have their "potty" room (the original nesting box), their " chill and get out of the weather and crash for the night" room (the original roosting area) and their "oh let's play outside and enjoy the sun and grass" room (the 'run' - basically the bottom half of the coop fully wired in). They run around like little madmen and enjoy the crap out of it. I've had people say keeping multiple rabbits in a single hutch is a bad idea. So far, these guys are doing splendidly. I figure they'll let me know when they don't want to be room mates anymore. Until then, I'm letting them stay together. They cuddle with each other and spend most of the day together. When they want time apart, one goes upstairs and the other stays out and chills - or they go to separate sides of the run. The duck is adorable. I have no idea about breed...ducks are not something I have experienced. My husband is still adamantly against ducks....I'm working on him. I figure by the time we get everything built for my chickens and guineas, I'll have him worn down. So, early next year I should be able to start bringing ducks into the mix :gig
I refer to chickens as the "gateway bird." Once you get into chickens, you want to try other fowl. I first got my chicks 8 years ago. Stuck with them for a few years, hatched some eggs each summer for two or three years. Then I decided I wanted some ducks. So I ordered some ducks.. Then a couple years after that, I decided I wanted some Geese, but I had to get more ducks, too. So I did. Last year I dove into the wonderful world of peafowl. I've acquired 14 of them. :) And now I'm on to Guineas.... :) Just got my first 30 eggs today. I can't wait!
**snickers** you're spot on.

Last edited:
I refer to chickens as the "gateway bird."
Haha! Yes, and I'm starting to fear that they are the gateway to more than just fowl! I've got rabbits on my mind and maybe sometime in the future a couple of dairy goats! :rolleyes:

Kilsharion, I'd love to see photos of your rabbit housing. I have a three-sided garden shed that would work great with a hutch inside it. (At least I think it would- I have never kept rabbits before.) Also- are you near Georgetown? My sis lived in Georgetown for years so I know that area.

Hehahn- The new duck is adorable! All I know is that it isn't a Khaki Campbell. We have those and they are solid gray/brown.

Quote: I'll snag some photos tonight. We have them up on a platform, right now, because of all the rain. I didn't like them getting muddy
hide.gif

We live very, very close to Georgetown. Technically, we are in Georgetown so far as our mailing address is concerned.
smile.png

Here is a photo of them out in the yard playing around:

Here's the whole thing:

This is the inside....forgive me for the fuzz factor. I was cold and wanted to get inside ((next time I'll put a jacket on :oops:)).

Last edited:
Kilsharion- the rabbit hutch looks great! Do you have trouble with them digging out of the lower area? I hadn't considered having them on the ground like that for that reason. Did you guys build the hutch?

Kilsharion- the rabbit hutch looks great! Do you have trouble with them digging out of the lower area? I hadn't considered having them on the ground like that for that reason. Did you guys build the hutch?

My husband built it. He eyed one that someone was selling and pooh poohed me buying it. Told me he could make one for less...which he did. Every one of my coops, so far, has been made out of reclaimed wood.

It was his first effort at a chicken coop for our smaller groups of gals (a couple groups of six that we move around the property). The bottom has wire on it, so the rabbits can't dig out. Without the wire, they'd be gone in a heartbeat. Either because they dug out or one of our dogs dug in
he.gif
My dogs leave the keets, chicks and chickens alone - but, rabbits just seem to be too much temptation. They're on that wooden platform, right now, because we have had quite a bit of rain (very unusual for us). So, the ground is pretty muddy. I don't like them getting soaked and filthy, so we put them on the platform until the ground dries out. That's one of the nice things about the a-frames - very easy to relocate
smile.png

Kilsharion, I LOVE your rabbit hutch!! We just got someone's Easter bunnies they decided were too much effort to care for. They're young, possibly females, and a pretty light caramel color. I don't know what breed, but they're so cute.

My kids were pumped after they saw your hutch and want to do one like it. Can you believe how much people want to charge for ready-made hutches? It's ridiculous.

And all my kids laughed at the "chicken is the gateway bird" quote. That has been so true for us. The good thing is that the kids are learning responsibility!

We just had 26/36 chicks hatch last night and this morning, and they're still coming. I told my husband it's like seeing a newborn--it never gets old to me. I love seeing the fresh innocence of new life! Such blessings. :)

Last edited:
Kilsharion, I LOVE your rabbit hutch!! We just got someone's Easter bunnies they decided were too much effort to care for. They're young, possibly females, and a pretty light caramel color. I don't know what breed, but they're so cute.

My kids were pumped after they saw your hutch and want to do one like it. Can you believe how much people want to charge for ready-made hutches? It's ridiculous.

And all my kids laughed at the "chicken is the gateway bird" quote. That has been so true for us. The good thing is that the kids are learning responsibility!

We just had 26/36 chicks hatch last night and this morning, and they're still coming. I told my husband it's like seeing a newborn--it never gets old to me. I love seeing the fresh innocence of new life! Such blessings. :)

Congrats on the new buns!! I know, the prices charged for ready-made hutches and coops just blows my mind. Particularly given the quality of the materials and craftsmanship. It's why I was so happy my husband is so handy. We hit CL for the "free lumber" adds from when people are tearing out decks and fences. The wood is perfect for using on our coops and hutches. Even our 'big' coops - in my siggy under "Landstown" - are made with almost all reclaimed lumber. The only lumber we bought was the plywood for skinning. We built our 6'x8'x6' coop for under $150 total, thanks to CraigsList and Montopolis Supply (hardware cloth and poultry wire supplier).

Not only are they learning responsibility, they get to understand the development of life from the smallest cell. It's wonderful! My step-son is visiting and got to see one of the chicks move in its shell, last night. He's 44 years old and made a noise like a little kid. I had to laugh at him when he did it. But, it's just so amazing to experience.

Congratulations on the hatch!! What are you hatching out? I've got my eye on a coral blue guinea hatching egg auction on ebay...I've been sniped out of them three times, now; and, I'm not sure I want to try again....but, dang it!! Those are my favourite colour guineas!!
gig.gif

Kilsharion, I have never been to Montopolis Supply but I'll have to check it out! I recently broke down and bought some poultry wire at the Home Depot because I didn't know where else to get it. I build almost entirely out of salvaged material that I've scavenged out of the trash. (Heavy trash pick-up is a great way to find lumber and plywood.) I have some info about my salvaged coops on my blog here and here. I find lots of other cool stuff in the trash, too! But wire mesh is hard to come by in the trash. When I find it it is usually in terrible shape and not worth the trouble. I'm keeping your rabbit hutch design in mind for the future...
smile.png

My guineas are two weeks old now and doing great! They are such nervous, tricky little birds. This week one of them started hopping out of the guinea brooder and jumping into the duck/chick brooder! I covered the top of the brooder to prevent this but it still managed to escape from the little corner I had left uncovered because that is where the heat lamp is positioned. I can already see that the guineas really feel a need to perch. I'm going to have to scramble to finish their permanent, outdoor coop because I think they're going to need it here in 2-4 weeks. At what age have y'all moved your guineas outside? The temperatures will be quite mild here at that time.

Back
Top Bottom