How do you feed your guineas when they are part of a mixed flock?

I separated the keets and put them in a second brooder so I could totally feed them that 30% protein feed if that is good for them. The chicks and ducklings are in the first box and they are getting 20%. If PeepsCA okays the 30% then I'm gonna go for it!

I can already tell that those keets are gonna need a lid on the brooder soon! They are so lively.

Quote: Thanks! I will do that.

Oops, sorry I didn't know you were looking for input on your game bird starter... yes the 30% protein is fine for the keets, and lots of people use it (I feed Purina Startena that has 30% protein in it to my quail, mixed with wild bird seed mixes). They will grow very fast on it. If it's not medicated (not sure of your chick starter is medicated or not) just be sure to keep an eye out for any signs of coccidiosis. (Fluffed up, depressed keets with droopy wings can indicate an cocci overload). And if your keets start growing frizzled looking feathers while on the 30%, it may just be from the extra protein but they will molt them out in a few weeks.

And yes, by 2 weeks old they will be all over the place or even up in the rafters if the brooder doesn't have a top on it, lol. In the wild they normally feather out really fast in order to be able to fly at a young age and get off the ground away from predators.

30% protein is fine for keets, or so I thought. I feed mine 30% until they're about 8 weeks old, then I start bringing the protein down. Am I wrong to do that?
Nope, you're not wrong... I just prefer to raise my keets on Amprolium medicated feeds for the first 6-8 wks since I hatch/raise/sell a million keets each season (ok not quite that many but it seems like it's that many come September each season, lol). I definitely do NOT need a cocci outbreak in my brooder system, nor do I want to send any keets out of here with a borderline cocci overload that may end up taking them out shortly after they are sold with the added stress of being caught, handled, and transported to a new home. The only starter feeds I can get here that are medicacted are only 27 or 28% tho, otherwise I would go for the 30% if I could.

Peeps, I've never used feed with Amprolium. Am I asking for trouble? I read (somewhere) that coccidiosis usually occurs when they're on the ground and not in a brooder. I know you keep your brooders immaculately clean, and so do I. Maybe I should feed them a lower protein with Amprolium? Your opinion will be appreciated. :).

guineas aren't very picky! i have two guineas and 27 chickens, and they eat the chicken feed. but, i feed my chickens layer pellets which is maybe a little different, (but actually works better!
lol.png
) i don't have ducks or quails so i can't help you there...
idunno.gif

i know some people feed their ducks duck feed and their chickens chicken feed, yet their ducks would just end up eating the chicken feed. i say it's fine but if you are seriously concerned do some research online!
caf.gif

Peeps, I've never used feed with Amprolium. Am I asking for trouble? I read (somewhere) that coccidiosis usually occurs when they're on the ground and not in a brooder. I know you keep your brooders immaculately clean, and so do I. Maybe I should feed them a lower protein with Amprolium? Your opinion will be appreciated. :).
Probably not, a lot of people do not feed medicated starter feed and have no issues. It's mostly preventative on my part because I hatch and sell so many, but really even medicated feed won't do much to help stop a cocci outbreak if it's going to happen.

My brooders are not kept immaculate by any means... that's kind of impossible, keets are insane little poop machines, lol but I try to keep them clean as I can and always disinfect brooders, feeders and waterers between every batch of keets as I move them to larger brooders or sell them etc.

guineas aren't very picky! i have two guineas and 27 chickens, and they eat the chicken feed. but, i feed my chickens layer pellets which is maybe a little different, (but actually works better!
lol.png
) i don't have ducks or quails so i can't help you there...
idunno.gif
No, they aren't picky and they will usually eat whatever is available. But just to clarify keets should not be fed starter or grower feeds formulated for chicks... Guineas are considered game birds, with nutritional needs that are a lot closer to Pheasants and Turkeys than they are to what chickens require. They should be fed high protein feeds so they grow out fast and lean like they do in the wild, at the proper rate with high protein to support the growth spurts and molts that they go thru and so they do not end up having any health or production issues down the line from being raised on too much fat and corn. They can eat layer feeds/all purpose poultry feeds once they are full grown/mature, as long as they have at least 16% protein in them.

Last edited:
Thank for this Thread good info I am getting Keets and chicks in the same order week of April 29th so this is very helpful. They will share a brooder until they get too big. Peeps love ya your such a wealth of knowledge! I am now cyber stalking you on BYC :lol:

Back
Top Bottom