how do you feel about space exploration?

Quote:
Yeah, that ending showing all the drowned guys was
sickbyc.gif

That and the scene where the one twin whacked the finger off the other twin so they would still be indentical.
sickbyc.gif

But... back on topic. Space is great. It's so, umm... spacey...
big_smile.png

*shutter* I had forgotten that part, thanks for reminding me
lol.png

The problem, as I see it, with what you have proposed is this:

It would still be controlled by the private sector (good) but so would the price (nuetral to bad).

If everyone had their own panels (or windmill) the price would be set by industry, but the product harnessed and used by the individual at no cost.

I have no problem with space travel as long as we can afford it, right now we cannot. I am all for a family buying a fancy bus and traveling the country, but the rest of the country should not have to pay for it. If space travel is so profitable let them fund themselves.

The rockets for space travel generate tons of pollution in seconds that the government is about to tax the rest of us for. This winter there will be young and old freezing, starving, and dying for this new cap and trade in the name of global warming. Space travel should be the last thing we spend money on at this time.

If you head over to the discovery channel website, they had a special on last night about going to the moon that adressed the transferrance of solar energy. Part of why it's expensive on earth is that the parts have to mede in a vaccumm, without air, costy to do it well here, up there, well not such a problem.

Checked the tivo, Living on the Moon was the name, about 45 minutes in shows how they're planning on doing it.

in a somewhat related note: Pink Floyd "Moonhead" -1969- Unreleased Pink Floyd Material

A instrumental piece used for a tv-programme on the evening of the first moonlanding July 20, 1969. The programme was a used by the BBC in between the coverage of the actual moonlanding -and was called 'But what if it's made of green cheese'. The theme was the first verse and the coda, with various actors reading quotes and poetry about the moon over. The rest of the programme was information, discussions and sketches. Later in the show, Moonhead was performed uninterrupted.

The music can be heard on the bootlegs 'With/Without' and 'Wavelenghts'. The song has also been known as 'Trip On Mars'.

I just find it very odd that the science grantmaking authorities are more willing to spend $$$ figuring out how to terraform Mars than how to stop desertification in the Sahara. Most of the technology that NASA comes up with does end up with some sort of massive Earthling benefit (satellites that currently run your cell phone and TV, for example), but if you asked the National Science Foundation for two million dollars to figure out how to solve, say, the issue of how to retrofit insulation into small areas where six inches of fluff is not feasible, you'd get nothing but an eyeroll. Yet when NASA needs to do the same to insulate a spaceship, they've got no problem unloading a dumptruck full of money for inventing Mylar.

There are lots of technologies invented for space that are quite useful on earth: refinements in freeze-drying, insulation, polymer technology, electronics, satellites that monitor our weather & geology and run our communications systems, water purification, spectroscopy, optical systems, waste disposal, closed ecological systems, reactor technology. All this stuff is great, we use it on earth all the time, but if you asked for a grant to work on it, forget it--the granting agencies only want to fund "basic research" because they feel that applications engineering somehow isn't "real science." Tell 'em you want to spend the $$ on ET, and somehow that's cool though. I don't get it.

People tell me i'm a space cadet all the time...
hmm.png
Is that like being a Trekkie?
Ooh, and wasnt Tesla a big hair band in the 80"s?
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom