Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eat them

• Sell some, eat some

• Sell them but only to people you see fit

• Total voters
most people who have chickens like to talk about them, or at least don't mind. I wouldn't worry about asking as many questions as you like-it's your bird till it's sold. In my opinion, for what it's worth, I'm in the middle of the animal/human thing. I don't feel that humans and animals are on equal footing. I do feel that it is a responsibility of humans to treat animals with respect.

Quote:
Oh, I definately agree that you can take it too far. I won't voice my full true opinion here as I'm sure it will be censored, but I will say that there extremes on both ends of how to treat animals and I don't agree with either end.

You said it right... "treat animals with respect". I agree completely... we can't go into that... we'll get off topic. I think I will take (most) everyone's advice and ask what I want. You are right, they are my birds until they are sold. That means their welfare is my responcibility.

I agree with Nyreds. If you decide to put something up for sale, that's the end of it. It's not like interviewing a babysitter for your child. It's a product and we have a responsibility to kill or sell the ones we won't be keeping. If you are really intent on knowing what the animal's life after you will be like, you have the responsibility to take it to a rescue farm or in the hands of someone you know personally.

Quote:
Well, like was said... I'm not talking about having them spoiled. I'm talking specifically about having them thrown in the ring or whatever those barbarians use. I'm trying not to say the "c" word that we aren't allowed to use anymore, but THAT is the ONLY thing I worry about given the area I live in.

So, I'm sorry, but I agree w/ what farmgirl said... they are my birds until I decide to sell them.

Quote:
I have lucked out on CL (well, I should say my culls did). First I read the ads. The first time I found some one who was looking to buy bantams (roos and hens) for his hobby farm. I was glad to give him my roos for free and talked to him a bit about his previous chicken ownership. The next time I had to give away a roo, I found someone else with a hobby farm looking for all kinds of animals including hens too old to lay. I really wouldn't have cared if they ate them- I just don't want to abet illegal activity.

I also sold a pair of RIR pullets through craigslist. The guy called me, came by and bought them within a few hours of posting. I talked to him about his chicken setup first.

For your situation, you might do well to sell them dead- but I'm not sure about the meat handling / processing laws where you live. Maybe you could process them all then offer to barter frozen birds for something you need / want.

That is a good idea flakeychick.... I don't know the laws either but selling to friends and co-workers would be fine. I wouldn't even worry about it. I don't think I would advertise the meat without going through all the proper paperwork and inspections, but around here at least... it wouldn't be a problem to sell to a handful of people.

Good idea.

A & D.

Some I sell to the first buyer. These would be the non-SQ birds that didn't endear themselves to me.

Some, that I have a little warmth for, have gone to young ladies for discount prices.

And some that I have a lot of warmth for I actually sold as a pair to make sure they got a decent home..

That said, I only raise bantams now. I've never seen a bantam-weight cock fight advertised.

Hello everyone,

I guess I'm confused about the whole egg hatching thing. If there is a chance you won't want them why hatch them. Why add to the thousands of unwanted. Unless of course you have the intent to raise naturally for your dinner table.

I pull my eggs every single day, if I don't, someone does. We're an animal rescue and unless we get them already pregnant we try our best not to multiply.

If you want more hens there are plenty out there looking for homes; as you've said just look on CS.

Some small rescues are over run with chickens/roosters that no one wanted for one reason or another The SPCA have facilities that house unwanted/abused chickens, roosters, poultry in general. The way the economy is today people just can't afford to keep their beloved pets and turn them over to the humane societies.

Just my thoughts. Please don't yell at me for the "whole egg hatching" remark. I love the forum and have learned a bunch, I just needed to say this as I would about the breeding any animal.

Hi Lature,
I too am a big advocate of spay/neuter, however, not everyone feels that chickens are a pet. For me, they are somewhere in between a farm animal (food) and a pet, and for a lot of people, they are just food (that gets treated humanely). All of my dogs and cats are and were spayed and neutered, never had a litter, etc, and at work I strongly recommend spaying and neutering. But I do breed my chickens. If no one wants them for their flock, I can give them to our cleaning woman at work, who will gladly feed her family with them.As someone on here said recently, until that one bad day, they live a pretty good life.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
We can't talk about this in great detail because it is off topic, but breeders... breeders HAVE to hatch. Otherwise, they are not breeding... they are keeping pets.

"thousands of unwanted" is what you said.... why not take those chickens and feed the hungery? As long as there are hungery people in the world, their should never be a surplus of livestock like chickens.

The question here was how do people find homes for their extra chickens, mainly roosters. I even stated that I don't mind selling to someone who will eat the chicken. I also stated that I will eat any that don't find homes. I had a thing called "The dispatcher" shipped in from the UK because it offers the most humane "end" I have seen so far. And let me also add that, if someone was truely needing food... I would gladly give them meat and eggs and even possibly set them up with a flock so they can hatch and raise their own food.

Honestly, I think chickens can go a long way in serving the world's hunger problems. I say it all the time with a bit of humor to it... "chickens can save the world". They can't SAVE it, but they can feed it. They reproduce relatively quickly, small and easily managed, alot of breeds can forage and feed themselves, and can tolerate most climates. With that said, why are there thousands in animal adoption agencies?

PS I'm not yelling.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom