Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tnchickenut

It's all about the Dels!
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Englewood, TN
I have been given a very roo year here and have come to the point where I am starting to have to make the choice of who stays and who goes and so forth. My problem is, I live in a area full of cockfighters who literally wear t-shirts displaying how proud they are to fight them. ( I am going to take a photo one day for you all to drop your jaw like I did at the boldness of it all)
Point is... I get so nervous and anxious about selling extra roos. I literally stay up at night and worry if they home they are going to is a fighter or not. Some people, most people, seem fine -even like they will spoil them... but their are always one or two that haunt me.

Here is my questions: Do you sell your roos? Eat them? If you sell them, do you try to check out where they are going? Would it be too much if I ask people questions like a adoption agency before making a choice?

I eat them - especially my mixed cockerels. I worry about what their life would be like also - so this way I do not have to
big_smile.png

When I do have a roo of a worthy breed to pass along, he will be priced accordingly – thus only attracting those who are interested in breeding.

Last edited:
it depends on what kind of roos you have ,they might be used to fight, and if you don't have the right fighting kind they would provably be practice for the fighting rooster, hey don't mind me, it could also be a pet who knows, but if you want to select who take your roos that is fine too, you make the choise.

Would you think that it would be too much and too picky to flat out ask people things like "What are you going to use him for?" , "What other breeds do you have?" (showing what type of personality they seem to have ie whole lot of games verses whole lot of heritage breed)

I worry that they would be used as training. The barnies I have fight ALOT for dual purpose non-game types and I worry most about them. I probrably should just eat them. I can give them a good life and then a clean, quick, respectable end.

They're chickens! Once I sell them it's none of my business what their new owner does with them.

You could try listing them on craigslist in another town. Say one or two towns over and then most of the peeps that email will prob. be from there and see how that goes. You are not ever going to know exactly what is going to happen to them, but maybe add that they are very nonconfrontaional and gentle will convince them that they are not good fighters.

In my area, it's a laugh to try to sell a Rooster. We're in farm country now, and no way unless I had a good pure strand of gene would I be able to do much other than eat them. That's my plan for my future flock. Eat the roos we hatch.

NYREDS- Kinda of harsh, don't you think? If you lived in an area KNOWN for cock fighting, you honestly wouldn't worry about the future home of your roosters? Its not like she worry's if the rooster will be lonely or have organic feed or enough gals to keep him happy. She is worrying about the way he will be treated. Its inhumane, cruel and selfish to even VIEW cockfighting. She is worrying about her roosters living a life of torment, depravity, and just pure hell. NO ONE wants any of their birds, or pets for that matter, to end up in such a horrific situation. Your post just seemed so callous and mean...they're chickens. What is this 1814, do women still have the right to vote. UGH!
roll.png

Quote:
And that's what responsible poultry keeping is all about. Well said!
clap.gif

Quote:
My thoughts exactly !!! Well said !!

I haven't decided what to do with my young roosters but I can guarantee that the new owners will be questioned. Even if they are going to eat them I will not sell to anyone that brings a gunny sack and picks them up by the legs and throws them in or treats them like a bag of potatoes !!
When we first got chickens last fall my husband wanted to raise them for meat as well as for egss. I said no way. But after realizing after I've become a hatchaholic (and these were suppose to be my husbands birds) that half will turn out to be roosters I realized that keeping them all would not be possible. If I chose to have my hubby cull them they at least will die quickly and asclose to painless as possible.
I plan on keeping as many roosters that I can without fighting but I know that isn't realistic or humane if to many are caged together.
I'd rather cull (kill) and throw it away or give it away after cull than take a penny from anyone that won't treat it humanely.
People make me sick sometimes when they refer to animals as "just animals" !!! What are we? We are no different, we are just animals !!!
Ok, I'll quit but I think you get my drift !! Good luck in making the right decision for your situation. You are not alone as you worry about the fate of your birds.

Back
Top Bottom