Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eat them

• Sell some, eat some

• Sell them but only to people you see fit

• Total voters
Phew! Pays to stay on top of threads... alot to address here.....

saddina is right. I work side by side with a proud cockfighter who has told me that they use any roo for a training bird. Certainly my heritage and dual purpose birds would meet a nasty end that way.
Saddina is also right about cockfighting still being done. I don't want to offend anyone, but every area of this country has it's own culture and heritage and just because there is a law... doesn't mean the general rule isn't to look the other way in any certain region when that law is being broken. Shortly said, if the sherriff, mayor, ect don't feel there is anything wrong with it... it won't get enforced. That's all I'll say about that.

NYRED... I know alot of people who feel the way you do. I don't. So far we still have the right to feel differently, so live on.

My main point isn't "should I eat them" because I'm going to... I just have far too many to even eat. My main point is .... would it be too much and too (thinking of words) picky of me to question potential takers so I can get a vibe off them?

Frenchtoast - that comment about the sack - dead on. That is exactly what I'm talking about. I can't raise something up and watch it get thrown about. Livestock or not... everyone should RESPECT their food. I don't want to get off topic, but that is the entire problem with the food industry.

CMV - thank you.

You would laugh if you saw the craigs list advertisement I posted to rehome my rooster! I'm surprised anyone responded...lol. You would have thought I was trying to place my first born child. And yes, I came right out and asked folks who responded "tell me about your chicken situation...how many do you have...what kind of housing are they kept in..." etc. I included photos and gushed about his attributes... When a man and his daughters came by to "meet him," I steered them away from him when I saw that both his daughters seemed intimidated by him (they were use to lap pets, and he was not that). He was a perfect fit for the next person to come see him, and they drove a ways to get him, which told me they really wanted him. If he had been a mean rooster, I probably would have offered him up for meat (for free) to any taker, and may have asked them to show me the ropes of the process.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
I probrably wouldn't laugh so much as smile. Good to know I wouldn't be the only one.

Everytime I post roosters for sale on Craigslist, I get one particular guy who is usually the first to respond and never asks one question and just says "I'll take them all"
For one, I think one line emails are rude
For two, why are you so eager to take all my roosters - sight unseen?
For three, how does he respond so fast? Is he sitting there searching "roosters" over and over?

Needless to say, I have never sold to him. The first time, I asked him if he had Delawares (what I was selling at the time) and was breeding them or crossing them for a breeding project... he never answered. So... no go.

He could have just been rude, but then again... he could have wanted them for fighting trainers or who knows what.

Folks, can we continue this without discussion of the illegal activity? We let it slide sometimes when it's "anti" type discussion or related to laws, but there has been more than enough talk about it in the thread already.
wink.png

To remind you,
2. No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!

Thanks!

We sell the girls, eat the boys that are big enough and young enough, but if they just won't sell, are too scrawny/old to eat, etc. then we just kill them and feed them to the wild critters of the night (throw the body in the woods). This often happens to the roosters and spent hens of our layer flock (not pets, they get a free pass
wink.png
)

When I HAVE to get rid of a roo which had only happened twice I gave them to a person that I knew, had chickens, understood rooster ways, and wasn't going to kill him for food but wanted him to take care of the ladies.
roll.png
Also, to the OP I see nothing wrong with asking a lot of questions to the person thinking of buying him. You are being responsible and making sure he is going to a good place. If that bothers the person than maybe that is an indication that they are not a good person to go to to begin with. Especially after you explain why you are asking so many of them. The life of the animal is more important than the opinion of that person you don't even know.

On another note, I agree with kickinchicken. Why do people insist on seeing animals as "just animals"
barnie.gif
Humans are "just humans" but the last time I checked we all deserve humane treatment and care. I think it is awful to sell the animal that you raised to just joe down the road and after he['s paid for and gone that whatever happens is their deal and not your fault if something bad were to happen to it. That's callous is what I say.

Good luck with finding someone suited for your rooster.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think you are dead on. I posted this thread to get a feel for what people would consider "ok" when buying and selling extra roos. I have asked a few questions of a few people before... and I'll admit... I even googled their names and addresses to make sure nothing popped up that was questionable. It's public information anyways. It did help me once, but usually it doesn't bring much. The one time it helped, I got their myspace page and I got to really see what they are like. They didn't get my birds.
wink.png

I got 25/26 birds right now that I put on craigslist, if I find them good homes, great... if not, they will be processed, quick and clean - even the bantams. I really would love to find most of them homes, though. I know that probrably won't happen because there is alot of them and most are cockrels. Like I said, I really wanted to get people chatting about whether or not they would be offended to be asked 20 questions about their flock(s) and such. I think you are right in saying that if they get offended, they must not have been the right kind of people to begin with. I don't need to think they will be spoiled, but just not used in sport. (can I say that?) I don't even mind them eatting them... I mean, the chicken you get at the grocery store or drive thru had to die too. That is a whole other topic, though.

Back
Top Bottom