How do you get a good rooster????

Pics

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
Recently we had to cull l one of our 5 month old cockerels due to aggression. Tonight our remaining cockerel flogged my son, twice. I know I have little experience but how on earth do you get a rooster who isn't human aggressive? I would really like to be able to hatch my own fertilized eggs. I also want my hens to be watched after. Is it just luck of the draw with roosters?

I think it's individual and also how it's raised. There are some prone to being aggressive and no amount of love or socialization will change that. I currently have 2 cockerels that I'm raising but will only keep 1. Both I can pick up, both will roost but I will only keep the one that maintains this calm. If they both stay that way then it comes down to which one I like more (one is barred rock, one is dominique and I'm favoring the dominique because of it's rose comb it's the only one with it so for me it will stand out) I will not be sad at not keeping a rooster just as you feel now disappointed it didn't work out. Human aggression is not acceptable though in any way. Yes they get teenage attitude but I'm a stand my ground person. I didn't back down to the grown roosters that came at me and I won't to these guys but I won't keep any that fight a person or my child. Child trumps my desire to have a rooster. I'm sorry this one wasn't a to do. Was it a certain breed? Did they come from same breeder?

In my opinion, aggression in roosters is mainly due to the body language of their keepers. There are several articles on BYC about rooster behavior, and I can link you to a few of them drawn from various management styles if you wish.
I won't be keeping any roosters, but I'd love to read the articles, if you wouldn't mind linking them.

Sorry about your bad rooster luck, OC. How is your son?

What breeds did you choose? For my first rooster, I picked a salmon favorelles because they have a reputation for being on the docile side. He is great. My kids and I are in the chicken run all the time and we never have to worry about him attacking us. I have a beautiful and non-aggressive (so far anyway) 5 month-old Swedish Flower hen cockerel I'm trying to rehome if you're headed down to TN any time soon, haha. ;)

Spoil the cockerel, and he'll be mean. Raise him feral, and he'll never attack. ;)

Often that's the case. People raising roosters, and who doesn't want to love, cuddle, hand feed, and all that good jazz with the adorable creature? :love Then, because he has no fear of you, he'll be at your heals. When you're raising them, don't give them any attention. If they come near, scare them off.
Yes. It's hard. I hatched out an adorable.cockerel, and I was the first face he saw. Something is wrong with him at first, so he was extremely docile, and wanted to be around me constantly. He'd just randomly fly up and perch on me for no reason! I've tried shoing the adorable thing away, and I'm hoping my efforts worked, but he's still a little too friendly...

I think it's individual and also how it's raised. There are some prone to being aggressive and no amount of love or socialization will change that. I currently have 2 cockerels that I'm raising but will only keep 1. Both I can pick up, both will roost but I will only keep the one that maintains this calm. If they both stay that way then it comes down to which one I like more (one is barred rock, one is dominique and I'm favoring the dominique because of it's rose comb it's the only one with it so for me it will stand out) I will not be sad at not keeping a rooster just as you feel now disappointed it didn't work out. Human aggression is not acceptable though in any way. Yes they get teenage attitude but I'm a stand my ground person. I didn't back down to the grown roosters that came at me and I won't to these guys but I won't keep any that fight a person or my child. Child trumps my desire to have a rooster. I'm sorry this one wasn't a to do. Was it a certain breed? Did they come from same breeder?
They both came from a hatchery. One was an Easter egger, a little brute. But the other one, who was left, is an Ameraucana. He was always so good to his pullets but we can't let him go after our kids. Perhaps hatchery cockerels run a higher risk of human aggression? Or maybe I should just wait on trying my hand at a rooster until my kids are older.

They both came from a hatchery. One was an Easter egger, a little brute. But the other one, who was left, is an Ameraucana. He was always so good to his pullets but we can't let him go after our kids. Perhaps hatchery cockerels run a higher risk of human aggression? Or maybe I should just wait on trying my hand at a rooster until my kids are older.
Your "Ameraucana" is also an Easter Egger since he came from a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom