How do you get chickens back in their coop?

BentWillow

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
W. TN
I have 26 9wk old chickens that have been kept in a heated room in our barn up until this week. I have moved them to a new coop and covered outdoor run this week. They refuse to come out of the coop. When we coax them outdoors, they run back up the ramp to get back inside or the hide under the coop. I understand their fear of the outdoors since it is new to them. However, we want them to enjoy and feel comfortable going out every day. We've tried treats and certain calls they know, but nothing seems to interest them. When they go under the coop, no one but my 8 yr old can crawl under there to chase them into the yard. We don't want that to go on every day obviously!Does anyone have any ideas?

They'll come out. They just need adjustment time. It took mine many days before they would come out of the barn into the run, and now that i'm letting them out for free ranging in the evenings, only 3 will come out into the yard
smile.png
The rest stand at the door and double-dog-dare each other to go out.

your chickies will go outside when they are ready.it may take a week to get them to go outside.

If it were me I am pretty sure I would block off underneath the coop -- run some cheapo chickenwire or plastic netting etc around it -- so as not to wear out the 8 yr old's good graces and so as not to have to get chicken poo and dirt stains out of the knees of his/her jeans every day
smile.png

And I would see if there was anything I could put just a few feet outside of the coop ramp, like maybe a picnic table or a boat on a trailer or a teepee of boughs from the woods stuck in the ground and tied together at the top, or whatever. To give the chickens some cover.

Then let 'em figure it out on their own, at their own pace.

Good luck,

Pat

Definitely board up the open space below the coop. Throw a little scratch and some greens out there and leave the hatch open. They will come when they are ready.

Hardest thing is getting them back in when it gets dark. i use a brooder lamp and a 40 watt bulb to give the coop some light so they will go inside rather than hunker down for the night wherever they are. A few days of the light and they get it.

Back
Top Bottom