How do you get chickens to stop being so skittish?

I got my chickens ever since they where a few weeks old but they are all still very scared and afraid of people including me unless I have treats. How do I get my chickens to easily allow me to hold them not be scared? And are chickens trained to be lap chickens or it just happens if they are trained how do you train them to be lap chickens?
The easiest way is to interact with them everyday. Each breed has a temperament that will only allow so much cuddling or physical attention. Even my big Barred Rock hens will squat when you get close to let you know they are ready for a pet or a scoop if you can hold an 8 lb chicken😂 Also my birds are calm when I walk slowly thru them, fast movements are alarming. This gets you close to your friends to begin try offering attention. There's also hand feeding which is a sign of trust to have with them. There probably isnt a perfect method to getting rid of skittish chickens but you can always get a few Silkies if you really want a snuggly bird. They are amazing!

I got my chickens ever since they where a few weeks old but they are all still very scared and afraid of people including me unless I have treats. How do I get my chickens to easily allow me to hold them not be scared? And are chickens trained to be lap chickens or it just happens if they are trained how do you train them to be lap chickens?
The easiest way to get your chickens to used to you is take a foot stool in and just sit with them and talk to them. I find that this helps. Just remember to take it out again with you. Also try to get them to eat out of your hand.

Spend a lot of time with them. I sometimes take a lawn chair and a favorite book or some hand work and sit in the run with them for a half hour or more a day. I don't pester them, just sit quietly and let them see me. Once they settle I put a few chicken snacks around my feet a few at a time. By doling them out a few bits at a time they get into the habit of coming back to check for more and thus get used to coming around me voluntarily.

I have 10 chickens all I acquired between day old and 6 weeks of age. Spending alot of time helps. I also found they like you as chicks then hate you then like you again. Hate you as teenagers and like you again after they start laying. I also found it makes all the difference if you sit on the ground or at least use a beach chair one that’s really low. Almost any chicken will then come to you. But I have a lavender Orpington. An Easter egger. A bantam calico Cochin and a black silkie that will not only sit on your lap for pets they like hugs. And my barred rock. 2 splash silkies. Isbar. And Wheaton Ameraucana will stand by me and let me pet them when they feel like it. My Olive egger could care less about me unless I have blue berries. They are mad at me right now because I am trying to type on my phone.

Attachments

• 43AD332F-2608-4D7B-8739-CEF88B530EB8.jpeg
    43AD332F-2608-4D7B-8739-CEF88B530EB8.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 6
  • E1AC2438-84A5-4FDA-A0DD-EB5B568E3382.jpeg
    E1AC2438-84A5-4FDA-A0DD-EB5B568E3382.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 5
  • D37EACF6-7963-4979-8A03-FF5839619982.jpeg
    D37EACF6-7963-4979-8A03-FF5839619982.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 6
A lot
A lot depends on what kind of chickens they are.

I have 10 chickens all I acquired between day old and 6 weeks of age. Spending alot of time helps. I also found they like you as chicks then hate you then like you again. Hate you as teenagers and like you again after they start laying. I also found it makes all the difference if you sit on the ground or at least use a beach chair one that’s really low. Almost any chicken will then come to you. But I have a lavender Orpington. An Easter egger. A bantam calico Cochin and a black silkie that will not only sit on your lap for pets they like hugs. And my barred rock. 2 splash silkies. Isbar. And Wheaton Ameraucana will stand by me and let me pet them when they feel like it. My Olive egger could care less about me unless I have blue berries. They are mad at me right now because I am trying to type on my phone.
Love you, hate you as teenagers, then love you? Hmm sounds like my kids!:hugs:plbb😕:hugs:he

How old are these birds? They sound like teenagers, which if that's the case, they'll settle down once they reach point of lay and hormones calm down.
I’m having a similar issue with my first flock of 4 - they’re almost 17 weeks old now, and I’ve had them for just under a month, and I feel that they were a lot tamer and more relaxed around me the first 2.5 weeks or so, and have recently and suddenly become skittish and shy. They would come running for treats and would follow me around initially to the point where they were underfoot all the time, but lately they’re super skittish and will only reluctantly come over for treats.

We had an attempted goshawk attack this week (I was with them, and I scared it off as it swooped from amongst the trees) and I have also been doing some gardening near their run - they didn’t seem too bothered by it at the time, but maybe the change has freaked them out? One bird also had one wing clipped last week, but I did this at night once they had gone to sleep and were calm, and it was quick and easy, no real fuss - she came to me and would eat from my hand the next day (watching her figure out that her flying days were over was pretty hilarious, poor girl! 😂)

They have never been afraid of me approaching the run but lately they seem to get panicky as I approach until they realize it’s me, and then they calm down again, but they still aren’t eager to interact or to come out and forage, like they used to be.

I would appreciate any advice on how to get them tame and relaxed again. Our Minorca (Tilly, the one who got a wing clipped because she almost got over our 7ft fence) has always been a bit skittish and not fond of being handled, but two of the others (who are EE mutts) would actually come sit in my lap for treats and snuggles before this.

Are they just being crazy teenagers? I’m trying not to take it personally 😂 but I miss them being sweet and cuddly!

I would appreciate any advice on how to get them tame and relaxed again. Our Minorca (Tilly, the one who got a wing clipped because she almost got over our 7ft fence) has always been a bit skittish and not fond of being handled, but two of the others (who are EE mutts) would actually come sit in my lap for treats and snuggles before this.

Are they just being crazy teenagers? I’m trying not to take it personally 😂 but I miss them being sweet and cuddly!
Long and short of it - wait. In the meantime, you don't have to really do anything different, though I'd suggest not forcing them to interact if they don't want to. When their adult hormones kick in you should notice them reverting to calmer behavior like they had as younger chicks.

Long and short of it - wait. In the meantime, you don't have to really do anything different, though I'd suggest not forcing them to interact if they don't want to. When their adult hormones kick in you should notice them reverting to calmer behavior like they had as younger chicks.
Thanks so much! Glad to know it’s mainly a teenage thing and that they’ll settle again.
Also you had that raptor episode, which they might have realized was a threat, or your behavior at the time freaked them out also.
Time, and treats, and don't chase them at all.
Mary
I’m sure that’s also part of it - they’re definitely way less keen to come out of their run, which is understandable! I’ll be patient and maybe step things back a bit and hang out with them while they’re in their run, with some treats to hand out 🙂

Thanks both for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom