How do you get out of hatching addiction ?

rosiethechicken

Songster
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
I haven't successfully hatched many, but already feel like its getting like addiction.
How others here resist the temptation to go on and on ? :)

You seem to be under the impression we do control our addiction
ya.gif
. I dont know about anyone else but the only thing that slowed mine down for a while was getting extreamly ill. Now Im back and it seems just as strong as befor. We learn to manage I think but not overcome , If your feeling rather addicted I recomend not looking at all the swaps and auctions and sale and trades they have in other parts of the forum youll end up with 2 or 3 or 4 bators full of eggs in every room of your house
gig.gif

You seem to be under the impression we do control our addiction
ya.gif
. I dont know about anyone else but the only thing that slowed mine down for a while was getting extreamly ill. Now Im back and it seems just as strong as befor. We learn to manage I think but not overcome , If your feeling rather addicted I recomend not looking at all the swaps and auctions and sale and trades they have in other parts of the forum youll end up with 2 or 3 or 4 bators full of eggs in every room of your house
gig.gif

Wrong assumption on my part, I admit
bow.gif
. I didnt even get involved in swaps and auctions forums yet, so I guess the worse (part of addiction) is yet to come, for me.

Last edited:
What has slowed me down is having to buy feed for adolescent birds. My master plan was to hatch blue ameraucanas, keep the best for myself, and sell the rest on craigslist. I haven't had good luck finding buyers, so I have about 30 more adolescents that I want.

My DH puts me on wire, with a fan on my backside and an ice bath when I start to backslide. LOL

Really, I have 1 turkey egg zipping as I type and three hatched this morning. No advise, I am looking forward to what others do.

Did you know you can post your young and adult birds here on our buy sale trade section , or give them away or trade them for products and eggs or what not. Also did you check the swap section of our forum where people from almost every state list swaps and get togethers that happen at least once or tiwce a year.

I wouldn't say I am addicted.....yet. I am only on my second hatch, but I already have that same feeling when I brewed my first batch of beer. I't like it's free when I do it myself, which is a BIG FAT LIE! Accomodations are what WILL slow me down. I started this spring with 8 hens and a rooster in my main coup and had an empty 4'x4' coup. Then I managed to hatch 13 chicks on my first try. Those 13 are in the little coup and for now it's ok, but each day there is less and less room in that coup. Very soon I must do something. I essentially more than doubled my number of chicks with that first hatch. Now I have 32 eggs in the incubator. If even half of those hatch I will be over run with smallish chickens. Did I mention I also bought a FBCM roo? He lives in my dog kenel. I don't know where the new hatch will live. In 2 weeks they will be hatching. Then I'll give them 4 weeks to live in the brooder in my garage. So in 6 weeks I need to have an outside home for them. I hope to start building another small coup tonight. If I don't finish it in six weeks time I'll be in really big trouble! To make matters worse.....this is all coming into play on my summer vacation plans. When I asked my brother if he and his family would take care of the chickens when we go on vacation I am sure he wasn't thinking 4 pens and about 30 chickens!

if you read all the different posts you will see that no one seems to have gotten over it! I just started..first batch I only got 1...cat knocked over the bator and only one survived! I had 15 hatch a week ago and have 22 in the bator and already planning my next batch! Help I can't stop! Not even sure what to do with all 15 chicks I have now..then the new one's set to hatch in 2 weeks??? I guess I will have to see if I can sell some! And maybe start hatching for friends so at least I can keep hatching! And I never even wanted chickens! And now my boyfriend will have to build me 2 more coops! But he started this! Because I want to get some silkies! And I want them to have their own coop! My adult chickens...14, free range...but 2 days ago coyotes got 3 of them (there were 17) So now don't know where to but the babies...don't want to raise coyote food! Anyone know how to get rid of coyotes?

Back
Top Bottom