How do you get response from chicken breeders????

I feel for her. If she wanted 2 or 3 nice looking (but not Show Quality) colorful Cochin bantam pullets I could help her. I have some pretty colors. I ship. She could pay you, and you could pay me with Paypal, and give me her shipping info. and I could ship, this week even. Or next week. PM me if this sounds good. Also I am NPIP, papers come with the birds.
smile.png

What a good friend you are! My parents are in a similar situation...no high-tech trappings, so they rely on my siblings and me for Internet information, etc. Showgirls are difficult to find, yet seem to be an up and coming trendy breed. My daughters and I don't have any yet, but if we could we'd send your friend one in a heartbeat - it sounds like she loves her chickens! Best of luck: I hope someone who sees your post can help.

You know, here you are on line, so you have access to a computer. This site has an excellent private message system. Nobody with access to a computer is without access to email. G-mail is absolutely free and you can access it from anywhere, even the library. That means you are capable of communicating through email.

If you friend does not have a computer and will not go to the library or has some reason they can't use technology (like their religion), then you always have the option of relaying messages back and forth.

It's a very nice thing for you to do to make accommodation to her lack of technology. I think it is unrealistic for you to expect others to make a lot of accommodation to her lack of technology. Some people will be willing to make a slight accommodation. Nobody is going to change their lifestyle for a stranger's "friend".

I can't see any difficulty that wouldn't be very easy to overcome if you are willing to be the go-between. This is not a flaw in the rest of the world. You can work around it if you want to. Don't expect strangers to work around it for you.

Lisa, thank you.

When I told my friend Arline about the negative remarks, she said to forget the whole thing. No way! I'm not a quitter. I've developed a thicker skin(and waist) as I age so the barbs pretty much bounce off. Probably every forum has a few who like to "lord over," everbody else. They aren't going to ruin my day.

My son left his computer when he moved out and taught me to email so I could keep in touch without running up a huge phone bill. I can't have chickens where I live which is probably just as well, a fox has a den in the back yard. We have plentitudes of the usual rascals, raccoons,coyotes , hawks, cats and free roaming dogs.

I do get my chicken fix vicariously thru Arline, and my godchickens. It's two years now that I've signed onto BYC and I am as addicted now as when I started.
The majority of the members seem to be very nice and have quite a sense of humor. Whatever I learn I pass along to my friend, and she teaches me what she knows. I have to say I never realized how fascinating chickens are. A big part of my day is spent visiting different topics so I may garner a few tidbits of knowlege, while dodging some housework.

Hope you are having a good day.

I have to admit, I see where NYREDS and Oregon Blues are coming from, as a seller my self and working a full time job in construction, by the time I get up in the morning, work all day, come home and feed up collect eggs, answer e-mails, box and prepare eggs or birds for the next days shipping....shoot it's dark and I have been at it for 14-16 hours on average.

Personally, this is why I dont give out my phone number, add that in and I'd never have any family time or rest.

It's nothing personal, but like you mentioned , in todays world, it's all come down to type , click, reply, pay by Paypal, and it's on it's way.

Yes unfortunately the ol days of a personal touch are a thing of the past.

A few breeders do still welcome phone calls, but they are mostly the older generation, retired, and arent as wore out from the days chores as the rest of us.

Like I said, this is MY personal reason for not doing it that way. I honestly just dont have the time.

BUT...IF someone were as serious as you, contacted me via e-mail or BYC...I still would give out my info to help the person out. It may not be instant, but I could arrange a phone call or something.

many wont though , like you all have said, they will look at it as for what yall want, it's not worth the extra hassle.

Like Orgeon mentioned, you are on line here, so you can search threw websites for her, contact as many as you feel it takes, some one with what yall want will eventually get back to you.

As for the paying up front, well you are just going to have to do that if they are being shipped, NO ONE will ship without payment.
This is where Paypal helps you as a buyer, if they dont ship to you, Paypal will protect you and refund the money.
Technology as it's pluses that way. It cost nothing to sign up to it, as long as you have computer access you can set up an account that way too.

Also there are a few publications with classified ads you can get.
The largest and most well known is
THE POULTRY PRESS.

I would advise subscribing to that. Also check with your state, Here in Georgia, the Georgia Dept of Agriculture puts out a weekly farm newspaper. It has classified ads for everything from Poutry , livestock to tractors and farm labor in it.

Best wishes to you, hope you find what you need, I personally dont have any of what you listed, but BYC is a good tool to use to find it.

Keep an eye on the classified section, continue to run want ads in it, search your state for breeders, there are a couple state by state breeders listings in the sticky sections, etc... with your will, there's a way...but in yalls situation, you are unfortunately going to have to be willing to pretty much do all the work.

I agree, BYC is addictive. Most people on the site are very nice and oftentimes very knowledgeable, but there's bound to be an occasional stinker in any bunch, plus I think a drawback of communicating via computer is the sense of anonymity people feel - perhaps making some say things they wouldn't say in person. Also, it's easy to misconstrue what another is trying to convey, since it's not possible to see their facial expressions or hear the tone of voice.

It's wonderful that your son has helped you gain computer literacy, as the Internet offers access to the world without having to leave the house - so important to stay connected. I agree with the person who suggested that you can use your computer skills to help your friend communicate with breeders.

Living vicariously through another's chickens is a wonderful idea. I have chickens of my own, and my daughter has one whom I refer to as my "grandchick" - I spoil that hen! We own a multitude of wonderful animals - everything from an Appaloosa mare, and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, to parrots, ducks, cats, rabbits, and even a hedgehog - they all make life more interesting. Showgirls are so adorable, I hope you and Arline are able to find one.

Best wishes. Lisa

Quote:

I received my Poultry Press yesterday and paid close attention to the ads; both the classifieds and the display ads. It is a very rare ad that does not give a mailing address. Those that didn't give a mailing address gave a website.

I didn't check any of the websites to see if they contained a mailing address. There were perhaps 3 ads in the entire paper that did not contain a mailing address.

I draw the conclusion that poultry breeders actually in real life do give out mailing addresses. Nearly every single one of them. My experience has been that they do give out mailing addresses, but I've only bought from 2 of them, so that doesn't count as extensive experience. However, there it is in black and white, on paper, available for anyone in the world to obtain: mailing addresses for lots of poultry breeders.

Anyone can get the Poultry Press, no club membership required. No requirement to own chickens. No requirement to speak English, although it would be difficult to read if you don't speak English. Lots of photos, though, for the non-English speakers and those who can't read.

I had a problem with theft this year. Someone cleaned out a dozen of my best black and blue wyandottes. I think it was a local teenage boy who had come out to my place to buy the year before. But that's another story for another time.

I'd say many wouldn't give their home mailing addresses for that reason. No reason to have a P.O. box since they probably don't live in a metropolitan area where it's a necessity to receive packages.

My searches have been on BYC because I feel there is some accountability among the members. When I had dogs I would find breeders thru the breed magazines rather than the newspaper that carried alot of "101 puppies all breeds, etc. etc. ads."

I am not familiar with the "Poultry Press," but will google it when I finish this reply. All you needed do was suggest it as a source and tell me how to access it.

Oregon Blues, since you just received your issue of The Poultry Press - were any breeders/sellers of Showgirls listed ? If you would be so kind as to post their mailing addresses, we would be sincerely grateful. Arline lives in Countryside, IL a suburb of Chicago. Thank you in advance

Back
Top Bottom