how do you get rid of mites on chickens ?

jaylor

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
i have a roo with mites that i would like to show in a cupple of weeks thanks and have a great day !

You will need to dust the bird with lice/ mite powder or Sevin dust and should clean coop/run and nesting area and dust it as well or they will just be back again.

In addition to what dieselgrl48 said, repeat dusting everything including your rooster in 10 days to kill any eggs that might have hatched since the first dusting.

Have you considered using Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth? http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html - scroll down to the EXTERNAL application. We use it and do not have a mite problem. We put it where our girls do their dust bath, and they apply it to themselves. It is interesting stuff!
smile.png

Iv'e never tried the "earth".I have so far been lucky and only had mites/ lice in 2 pen's of raising bird's in 6 year's.Everytime I see a bird scratch here I go for the wings and Butt
barnie.gif
.I RARELY EVER buy live bird's other than spring chick's so I guess that keeps down infestation too.A lot of people seem to like the diamatomaceous earth and it is natural no chemicals so would be something I would try.

SEVIN DUST!!!!!!!!!! That is the answer to your problem, it works super well, but don't forget to redust them in 10-14 days to get rid of the eggs. Hope it helps u as much as it helped me
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom