How do you get water and food to your chickens? (Share your storys!)

I guess that depends on how you define "simple". For me, no daily upkeep = simple. And, I'll happily invest an hour in construction time for a feeder and waterer that allows me to go on vacation without fear that the chickens will die a horrible death in my absence.

x2

Mehjr10, if you are looking for a worry free waterer take a look at thethirstybird.com and see what you think. I have had mine up in the coop for two years now without any more than a look inside once a year to see if it needs cleaned but is has remained as clear and clean as the day I put it up. If I have to leave the girls for a couple of days I never worry that they will have clean water always.

Just this spring I deep-sixed our classic plastic tank-and-tray style waterer (even on a block it got dirty quickly, not to mention the algae, etc. that grows rapidly in the hard-to-clean tank, and I got tired of it!) and built a nipple bucket. It was incredibly fast and easy, using nipples I ordered online and following their directions. Done in 5 minutes. For my four hens I only fill the bucket half full and refill it once a week to keep the water fresh. No mess, no muss, easy to fill, and my girls were using it like pros within a day. I am definitely a nipple convert. Have I raved enough?
Do they sleep inside a closed coop? Do they water in there? There wouldn't be enough room in our coop for this but we plan to use it for their run. Forgive me if this is a naive question, I'm new at this.

You can build a mini one for the coop. My grow-out has a juice bottle waterer that takes very little space (rectangular, sits against the wall) and holds nearly a gallon.

You can build a mini one for the coop. My grow-out has a juice bottle waterer that takes very little space (rectangular, sits against the wall) and holds nearly a gallon.
Thank you, I also saw the coke bottle one, that would also fit- if I can find a way to hang it from a Snap Lock coop. I should be able to rig up something.

I built 2 PVC feeders with a 45 degree connector, hung them several inches off the floor of the coop and they still throw the food out. I actually have less waste with a bin and tray hanging feeder that holds 10 lbs.

How do you keep the nipples waterer from leaking? I made one and it dripped so badly, I quit using it as I don't want the coop or run always wet.

Mehjr10, if you are looking for a worry free waterer take a look at thethirstybird.com and see what you think. I have had mine up in the coop for two years now without any more than a look inside once a year to see if it needs cleaned but is has remained as clear and clean as the day I put it up. If I have to leave the girls for a couple of days I never worry that they will have clean water always.

Looks good, but have a system collecting Rain Water and distributing through nipples.

How do you keep the nipples waterer from leaking? I made one and it dripped so badly, I quit using it as I don't want the coop or run always wet.

The standard nipples have to hang vertically, If you have too much pressure in the system they will tend to drip more or they don't catch it all when they are drinking. You can also put a trough under the nipples to catch drips.. Mine don't drip unless they are using it.. and i only water outside the coop in the run.

Back
Top Bottom