How do you give liquid medicine by beak?

princess araucana

Songster
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Rhode Island
Hi, I've been giving my post crop surgery rooster liquid antibiotics by beak.
Each time is a struggle! I have my boyfriend hold him while I pry his beak open and shoot the liquids in with a needless syringe.
Since they are liquids I am worried about them going in his lungs.
After the miraculous recovery he is making I am so scared to drown him with his medicine!

Anyone have any tips? Is there a better way? Or possible to do by myself?

Thanks!!

When we had a sick month old chick we used to give her just a few drops at a time of liquid/medicine by syringe. It would take awhile but if we rushed and gave her too much at once she would gag/choke. Hopefully someone will have a better idea.

With mine I mixed it in with pureed cucumber, one of her favorite foods. If yours has a favorite fruit try adding it to just a dab of that. My Pooh got really clever at dodging my attempts to dribble it along her beak and she flat out refused to eat the soaked bread. The cucmber puree did the trick through.
Good luck!

We recently wormed our chickens and the roosters were the easiest to do! They have wattles for a reason. Pull down gently on the wattles and the beak opens. Syringe in the medicine.

Have the chicken facing away from you, so its butt is towards you. They can be on the floor with you kneeling on them, or in your lap, held like a football.

Fill syringe with stuff. Hold in right hand. Gently tuck the chicken's wings under your right elbow.

As quickly and firmly as you can, grab beak between your thumb and index finger of your left hand. Use fingernails of those fingers to pry beak open, then stick your finger in the gap as fast as you can to hold the beak open.

Insert syringe at an angle, aiming for back of mouth, squirt, let go.

Give a treat right away. Works with all animals, if you give a treat right after something unpleasant they learn to tolerate it a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom