How do you give up a rooster you love?

Yeah. Sounds like he’s trying to mate rather been mean but just figuring things out a little confused and learning. If he’s causing damage then separating till a little older would be good I think. Sounds to me he could be a good rooster. I like you 2 yr old serama... my kinda girl ;)

It is brutal to see the first time my daughter saw it see came to me all upset the rooster was evil. Now she walks by and says “ come on man, right out in the front yard?!” Lol but he’s super sweet to them and always keeping an eye on them

I’m having the same problem right now. I have 8 chicks (7 are 8.5 weeks and 1 is 5 weeks).
Four are cockerels.
3 Naked Necks and 1 bantam Cochin.
My Cochin is fine.
But one of the NN, Loki, likes to try to mount my Silkie chick. :barnie
It’s pretty brutal just because of the size differences.
The 3 NN are going to need to be separated soon because they are rowdy!
I can’t decide which one I want to keep!
I want to give it some time so I can see how they behave with maturity.
I have older hens that can teach them how to behave themselves.
I just don’t want my girls constantly harassed by 3 cockerels with raging hormones.

You've received some good wisdom from oldhen. I also have a Bantam cochin rooster and he is the best. His sons are just a wee bit more "roostery" than himself but by no means aggressive towards his ladies. I did manage to find homes for both from my most recent hatch (lucky me)
Marilyn Manson (My boy) is just over a year old. He's awesome. Not people aggressive at all and likes to watch over his ladies while they get treats and bathe. Gotta love a Bantam Cochin. I will likely never have another type of rooster ever again. Gotten too spoiled.
That being said, I do know that if I ever have a rooster that harasses my ladies, he's a goner. I care much more about my girls than a roo.

Chooks--I can only imagine how rough it is to have to decide which one to keep. And I never knew NN's are rough! I've always wanted one. You're lucky in the fact that you have older hens to keep them in line. I only have the one older hen. And I hear ya about the constant harrassing!

I do have to admit bantam Cochins are the bomb. So goofy, and so full of personality. Mine are all so spoiled too, honanbm! It's disgusting! And I agree, I care more about my girls too, than one punk roo. I'll give him a shot at it though, but if he's still this bad when I do put them together again, he'll have to go.

Back
Top Bottom