how do you guys keep track of who’s laying and when?

I have a small flock of 10 hens. I have one hen that lays green eggs, one that lays white eggs, one that lays dark brown speckled eggs, but the other seven hens all lay brown eggs and I can't tell which hens are laying eggs and which are not.

I had a Black Astralorp go broody on me about a week ago, so she is not laying anymore. Sometimes you can tell when a chicken goes into molt and has stopped laying eggs. But for the most part, I cannot match most of my brown eggs to my hens. I still get more eggs than Dear Wife and I can eat, so I'm not too concerned about which hen may or may not be laying eggs.

Although it would be interesting to me to track egg laying per specific hen, I really did not get a backyard flock primarily for eggs. Eggs around here cost less than $1 per dozen at the big box store, so that is cheaper than raising my own flock for eggs. I do not get hung up about too many specifics on the egg laying production and just try to go with the flow, so to speak. That's how I deal with it.

I had this scenario at one point....now it's like who the heck knows!
I just count daily egg numbers...I use a spread sheet to track all kinds of things.
We are currently dow to 4 laying hens. One chocolate layer, one white layer, two light brown. My spreadsheet shows date, number eggs , some days I add color. Like this.
4/6/20214b,b,w,c
4/7/20212b,c
4/8/20212w,b
4/9/20211b
4/10/20213bbw

Where we only have 4 we know who the slacker is. The one that is currently broody.

Back
Top Bottom