How do you guys know??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grey's, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Grey's

Grey's Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Ottawa, ON Canada
    Ive been reading some posts where people are asking what sex their birds are. Yesterday when I went to feed the girls my Barbara cock a doodle dood lol I don't want little ones just eggs, when shud I seperate them? or what shud I do, I don't want to get rid of Barb(now maybe mcdreamie) ?? any suggestions?

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    You dont need to seperate them if you want eating eggs. You can still eat eggs that are fertile. It dosn't start developing until its been set either in an incubator or under a broody hen. Just gather your eggs daily and you'll be fine [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What danielle82 said.

Also, there is absolutely no difference in taste between fertilized and non-fertilized eggs, nor is there any difference in nutritional content.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Exactly. [​IMG]

If the neighborhood is fine, then you're fine. Roosters cannot "impregnate" hens. Your only chances of getting chicks is if one of your hens decides to sit on the eggs for 21 straight days.

5. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Like Danielle82 said, if you have a rooster and don't want babies, just collect all the eggs every day and make sure the hens aren't keeping a secret stash from you. A fertilized egg isn't going to hatch if it isn't incubated.
    By the way......[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You could also post a pic and we could let you know if you have a roo, or just a dominate hen who's testing her voice...........we love to look at pictures!

7. Grey's

Grey's Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Ottawa, ON Canada
    Thats great news guys! now I think I have two roo's [​IMG] will take a picture tomorrow and post it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by