How do you house 3 roosters????

LoveChickens123

Songster
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
On Taro-Lynn Farms with our animals
Hi well today i found out that we have 3 roosters. On is a barred rock. One is and Isa brown. An the last on is an Ameraucana. Well I don't want to sell them because I love them all. So how do I house them. We have 9 hens we were supposed to have 11 hens. So any ideas. I was going to sell them for both 25$. Any help appreciated. Thank you

You don't have enough hens to keep 3 roos from fighting. You'd need about 30.
Since they're growing up together, you could house them together without hens and they'd probably be fine.
You could put one with the hens for a while but when you bring the one back there could be issues.

Have they all been living together peacefully? If so, you shouldn't have to do anything. And unless they're breeding quality you might have some trouble getting that much out of them, depending on your area. I have two roos and 7 hens and they all cohabitate well together. One roo is definitely dominant and will get after the other one from time to time, but usually just a quick chase to make sure he's still top dog and that's it. It really just depends on your flock dynamics and what kind of space/resources you have for housing. My flock is really laid-back and we don't have any of the problems that people have told me I will due to numbers, keeping broodies and chicks with the flock, etc. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Have they all been living together peacefully? If so, you shouldn't have to do anything. And unless they're breeding quality you might have some trouble getting that much out of them, depending on your area. I have two roos and 7 hens and they all cohabitate well together. One roo is definitely dominant and will get after the other one from time to time, but usually just a quick chase to make sure he's still top dog and that's it. It really just depends on your flock dynamics and what kind of space/resources you have for housing. My flock is really laid-back and we don't have any of the problems that people have told me I will due to numbers, keeping broodies and chicks with the flock, etc. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
Yes they are fine together i just don't want to sell them

3 roosters and 9 hens is a recipe for overmated, stressed hens. Unless you have tons of room and/or free range most of the time. I think you need to make a separate pen for 2 or 3 of the roosters and just house them separate.

3 roosters and 9 hens is a recipe for overmated, stressed hens. Unless you have tons of room and/or free range most of the time. I think you need to make a separate pen for 2 or 3 of the roosters and just house them separate.

This is really the best option. How old are they now? I assume they are still young and why they get along fine now.

I think you need to prepare a plan in case this does not work. As long as the younger ones stay submissive to the older one, it will work. However, hormones are powerful things, and you could easily go down to a bloody mess.

This will be pretty hard on your hens. Really one roo per 9 hens is the minimum. That is what I usually run, and often times my hens are barebacked.

Hoping they will all get along, is mostly wishful thinking. It might happen, but it is not likely. Have a plan who will go where, if it doesn't.

Mrs K

I think you need to prepare a plan in case this does not work. As long as the younger ones stay submissive to the older one, it will work. However, hormones are powerful things, and you could easily go down to a bloody mess.

This will be pretty hard on your hens. Really one roo per 9 hens is the minimum. That is what I usually run, and often times my hens are barebacked.

Hoping they will all get along, is mostly wishful thinking. It might happen, but it is not likely. Have a plan who will go where, if it doesn't.

Mrs K
Well what do you do when your roosters are pulling the feathers out of the backs of the hens. because of the talons??

Back
Top Bottom