How do you keep a dovecote clean?

Is it a traditional kind of ornamental dovecote on a pole?

I had one like that. I made a plant bed in and shape of a circle around the base of the dovecote... wider than the dove house, so all their poop fell onto the soil. It looked neat and tidy, and I put edging stones around the outside and planted a small hedge around the perimeter (outside the poop fall zone).

I would dig over the soil ever week or so. The worms ate all the dove poop and it stayed looking nice. Just make sure that the soil is well drained. You might have to mix in some sand or leaves to keep it light and stop it compacting.

I also have a couple of small stepping stones to walk on to get to the dovecote.. as I fed them on a circular shelf attacked to the dovecote pole at head height 2 X a day.

Hey! Yes, it is. It's in a large raised bed with a layer of earth, then a layer of that plasticy fabric stuff that stops weeds coming through, and then slate chippings on top. I regularly hose it down, so the poop sinks through the chippings. This helps but it's never brilliant. Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom