How do you keep chickens cold when it’s 82 degrees

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
My chickens have never experienced that hot of a weather here where I live so how do I keep them cool, it’s hot every where and I’m afraid that they could die if it got any hotter, so what can I do and what should I feed them to make them drink more water

My chickens have never experienced that hot of a weather here where I live so how do I keep them cool, it’s hot every where and I’m afraid that they could die if it got any hotter, so what can I do and what should I feed them to make them drink more water

That temperature is fine for chickens so long as they have shade and water. Try to get them full shade i.e 3 sides and a roof or what they would get from sitting under a thick bush. Make sure you have more than 1 water source in case one gets tipped over or some other thing stops it working. You can water the ground to give them damp patches to sit around in.

Mine have been perfectly fine in 90+. They weren't happy about it but they came through just fine.

Thank you for your answer, I have also heard about the pool thing, but right now mine live in a temporary coop so there isn’t much space for that, but they have frozen fruit and 4 or 5 water sources
They should be good then in those temps with all that you are giving them plus shade and ventilation. Loved the wetting the ground idea too. They pant because they can't sweat.

The temp has now chime up to 84 degrees and it will rise to 86 degrees in a hour or two but they have all just gotten some frozen fruit. They don’t like the heat and have Definitely gotten some very watery poop but they seem better, in the night the temp will go down to around 62 degrees and tomorrow the highest temp will be 75 degrees so I think they will be fine😊

Here are some pics of my hens enjoying their splash pool (baby bath tub.)
"Nova" on the tub- clock wise "Wendy" Welsummer, Bluebelle, Black frizzle is "Mel", "Regan tropfin" Spitz, and "Mauve" cali/white mix.
tubc.PNG

Below is Nova and Bluebelle
tub.PNG

Nova and Mel again...
tubb.PNG

It has been in the mid 90's here and they are fine if they have plenty of shade and water. But I will give them watermelon from the fridge, which they love. Also you can pour canned corn into ice cube trays to freeze and give as treats. I have heard of people putting chicken wading pools in their pen. Haven't tried that one. Sounds quite messy if you don't have a large space. But when looking it up there were a few people who take their chickens swimming in their people pool. And they were swimming around. Crazy. Didn't know they could swim. I would be worried their wet feathers would weigh them down.

To reiterate what the others have said. Just make sure they have or can get to some shade. Preferably in their run and not the coop. Growing up without A/C, we avoided going in the house. Which was hotter than being outside. Also make sure that they have plenty of cool water.

It has been in the mid 90's here and they are fine if they have plenty of shade and water. But I will give them watermelon from the fridge, which they love. Also you can pour canned corn into ice cube trays to freeze and give as treats. I have heard of people putting chicken wading pools in their pen. Haven't tried that one. Sounds quite messy if you don't have a large space. But when looking it up there were a few people who take their chickens swimming in their people pool. And they were swimming around. Crazy. Didn't know they could swim. I would be worried their wet feathers would weigh them down.
Thank you for your answer, I have also heard about the pool thing, but right now mine live in a temporary coop so there isn’t much space for that, but they have frozen fruit and 4 or 5 water sources

To reiterate what the others have said. Just make sure they have or can get to some shade. Preferably in their run and not the coop. Growing up without A/C, we avoided going in the house. Which was hotter than being outside. Also make sure that they have plenty of cool water.
Thank you for your answer, I give them new cold water every 5 hour to make sure they have cold water😊

Back
Top Bottom