How do you keep chickens out of a flower garden?!

AJ666

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
La Crosse, WI
They love to eat the plants and fling the mulch around. I'm worried my mom will kill them soon. (Its her garden)
How do you keep chickens out of a garden? Fencing? I dont know please help me here!!

I personally let mine go where they want. They don't destroy my plants but turn up the mulch and push it all over the lawn. I just thank them for eating all the bad bugs and go rake the mulch back in place. They are great for aeration and bug controll really. The garden is a different story, a single electrified wire should keep them at bay.

Fencing is the only sure thing because chickens love gardens.

I keep my chickens in chicken tractors during the day and let them out just before bed so they can make their way to their coop and wouldn't you know it, they stop for 'snacks' all through the garden and flower beds before finally making their way into the coop. Little rascals!

I use T-Post & 4 foot wire.
63768_gardeniddys_003.jpg

I'm sorry to tell you but chickens and gardens are not compatible. I'd love to let my hens eat bugs in my garden but they eat the plants too. I've kept the hens in a nice run and they are used to me bringing greens, snails, and bugs to them each day. Fencing is the only solution.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom