How do you Keep ducks in the winter ?

So then mine shivering/shaking wasn't a sign of them being cold? and yes the water has to be "plugged" in after certain temps otherwise they get a skating rink which leaves them less than impressed lol

I was agreeing with you.
hu.gif
Unless it's severely cold, they should be fine. Especially a big meat breed like pekins, which are bred to be somewhat fatty anyway. They got extra insulation.
lol.png

We are in Wisconsin and it has been bitter cold a couple of times this year (we had -7F) without the wind and we have ducks, geese, chickens and supply NO heat. Geese have access to a 3 sided shed out of the elements and most of the time they are sittin outside. Call ducks are in a building with a wood floor and shavings, but have access to a raised water garden with water 24/7 I do not lock them in. We have never lost a bird to cold ever. I do feed extra whole corn on those very cold nights to give them extra in the crop for heat. Pekins in Canada should be just fine with no heat, but if it makes you feel better go for it. I know they won't mind.

I was agreeing with you.
hu.gif
Unless it's severely cold, they should be fine. Especially a big meat breed like pekins, which are bred to be somewhat fatty anyway. They got extra insulation.
lol.png

Oh ok.. no problem.. was a bit confused ... My Drakes are pretty hefty being Muscovy but those petite little hens, they quiver & shake in the horrid temps..

Oh ok.. no problem.. was a bit confused ... My Drakes are pretty hefty being Muscovy but those petite little hens, they quiver & shake in the horrid temps..

Aren't scovie's bred to be leaner? I think it's the down and extra fat in ducks that keeps them warm, so that would make sense too.

Aren't scovie's bred to be leaner? I think it's the down and extra fat in ducks that keeps them warm, so that would make sense too.

I don't think so, they just are a leaner meat naturally.. but i do know they are not as "waterproof" as others, the oil gland is less developed, so they don't dry up as well which of coarse with my insane weather(ie; today- freezing rain that has now turned to a snow storm) that makes it harder for them.

Last edited:
I don't think so, they just are a leaner meat naturally.. but i do know they are not as "waterproof" as others, the oil gland is less developed, so they don't dry up as well which of coarse with my insane weather(ie; today- freezing rain that has now turned to a snow storm) that makes it harder for them.
We've had the exact same weather today.... Yes, scovies are definately not smaller in mass than mallards, but Scovies are naturally less hardy (zone 9, compared to the zone 4 mallard), but they can keep body heat well, and they are more active than mallards (so of course that builds up body heat).

We've had the exact same weather today.... Yes, scovies are definately not smaller in mass than mallards, but Scovies are naturally less hardy (zone 9, compared to the zone 4 mallard), but they can keep body heat well, and they are more active than mallards (so of course that builds up body heat).

More active? interesting. i know mine keep trying to forage.. who knows how that is possible.. the ground is absolutely frozen solid.. now covered with a sheet of ice, topped off with several inches of snow lol

Last edited:
Ok so my ducks live with my chickens which means they will get a heat lamp if they want it. (They can go outside if they want to). I have banty hens and a large 12x12 coop/shed. My biggest question is how do you keep the ducks from playing in the water and splashing it out? It only took them one night to empty about 3 1/2 gallons from a 5 gallon container.

We have ducks and geese (just added some chickens), but all we have ever used for water, is a 5 gallon poultry water can, on a heated base, we got from the feed store. It works well for keeping drinking water, but the only water they get to play in-- is the snow. We are in northern minnesota.

Before our (Mallard) ducks became free range, we had a waterer (the type with the white top and red bottom that you fill and flip), and our ducks made such a mess. It seemed as though they were tossing the water into the air and onto their backs. Thier shavings needed changing almost daily. For winter, thier pond will freeze and I am dreading putting a waterer back into their coop. I love my ducks, but compaired to my chickens, my ducks are SO high maintenance! :p. They are good flyers- but I don't think they will fly away. They know they have it good.

Back
Top Bottom