How do you keep hens from pecking?

charmed one

Show Me State Gal
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Near Truman Lake, Mo
To start, my hens have plenty of space and are not crowded. They continually peck each other at night and some are getting quite bare in the butt!
ep.gif
I've used bluecote. I've read to put vinegar in their water. I was told to put vasoline mixed with hot sauce on them. What do you use and what works?

I wouldn't want hot sauce and vaseline on my skin if it were irritated so hold off on that. How many chickens do you have and how large is their coop? Are they pecking at each other and EATING the feathers? Is the coop well ventilated? What is the temperature? How many feeding and watering stations do you have? What are they fed? Is it a balanced chicken pellet or just scratch?

We'll figure it out.

They are only pecking at night?? Check their vents to make sure they look clean. If they look dirty you could have a mite problem. There are mites that only come out at night and make the chickens miserable because the chickens expect to get bit. One more question. What is the total length of their roosts? How old are they?

I have 28 RIR's.They were 1 yr in march. They free range in the daytime. I give them laying mesh in the morning and when I get home at night. They also get scratch and have access to water 24/7. The hen house is large..very large. They roost closer than they need to. I don't think they are eating feathers. The hen house has windows on the south side and is well ventilated. I have recently had a coon problem that I am working on. They maybe roost close because they are scared? I'm pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with their diet. They are spoilt rotten! If I go into the house at night and shine the light on them, they will look over at their neighbor and peck the bare spot. I've seen them peck at each other in the day too although not as much.
hu.gif
I do have a couple of very dominate hens. They peck more than most.

I hate to spout off from a book but one of the books I have says avoid crowding, reduce temperature and increase ventilation and alleviate boredom by letting chickens run outside so they have other things to pick at besides each other.

Well by golly you are doing EVERYTHING RIGHT!! I kind of feel like a fool. Do they get scratch as a treat or as their daily diet. One thing you might want to try is removing the trouble makers you wrote about. Once one starts they play follow the leader. Once those little beads of blood show up they are out of control.

I had one pullet that was being bullied terribly. I washed her wound, patted it dry and let it air dry. Then I applied Wal-mart brand Noxema. The others pecked at her but never came back for a second try. She eventually healed nicely.

I wish I could be more help but others will certainly chime in.

Good luck

It could be diet (protein) or a lack of fiber. How much scratch are you feeding? And what is the protein of the layer?

Have you considered hanging something like cabbage in their run for them to pick on? (Make sure they've had granite grit for a week first.)

Quote:
They free range in the daytime and have the run of the farm. The layer is 16-18. They get oyster shell and have a gravel driveway for grit.

Purpletree..The noxema is a good idea. It kinda follows along with the vasoline and hot sauce. I think once they get a bad taste in their mouth from pecking, they'll stop.

I'm still working on the coon problem. Caught another one this morning. I'm thinking stress might be a factor.

Thanks for all the imput everyone!
bun.gif

I love BYC!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom