How do you keep track of them all?

greatchicken

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
I would like to know how everyone keeps track of their chickens. I have 30 or 40 (I lost count) chickens running around. I need some advice on how to keep track of them. I thought about the leg bands but I only saw colored ones that did not have numbers and when I found ones with numbers they only went to 25. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would also like to know if the chickens would just pick the leg bands off? I have a few Brahmas and they have no leg feathers because the other chickens pick at them.

Thanks
Shaun

leg bands usually stay on in my experience. and i guess keeping track could be hard. leg bands souund good for your situation.

Last edited:
I don't really know, I only have 8, but I'm pretty sure leg bands are designed to stay on and they should work.
Good luck!

I only have seven right now. However, I plan to get more in the future. I started a spreadsheet on the computer with each chicken's information - date hatched, breed, coloring, date of first egg, egg size and color, hardiness, etc. It's kinda fun to keep track of them that way. Leg bands sound like a good idea when you have so many.

You might not have to leg band them all. Go with different colors - say pink for girls, blue for boys (generic and unoriginal I know, LOL) then 25 numbers would be enough.

Back
Top Bottom