How do you keep track of them all?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greatchicken, Aug 8, 2011.

1. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    I would like to know how everyone keeps track of their chickens. I have 30 or 40 (I lost count) chickens running around. I need some advice on how to keep track of them. I thought about the leg bands but I only saw colored ones that did not have numbers and when I found ones with numbers they only went to 25. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would also like to know if the chickens would just pick the leg bands off? I have a few Brahmas and they have no leg feathers because the other chickens pick at them.

Thanks
    Shaun

2. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    leg bands usually stay on in my experience. and i guess keeping track could be hard. leg bands souund good for your situation.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    I don't really know, I only have 8, but I'm pretty sure leg bands are designed to stay on and they should work.
    Good luck!

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I only have seven right now. However, I plan to get more in the future. I started a spreadsheet on the computer with each chicken's information - date hatched, breed, coloring, date of first egg, egg size and color, hardiness, etc. It's kinda fun to keep track of them that way. Leg bands sound like a good idea when you have so many.

5. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    You might not have to leg band them all. Go with different colors - say pink for girls, blue for boys (generic and unoriginal I know, LOL) then 25 numbers would be enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by