How do you keep up???? I am over my head...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Paws2u, May 17, 2009.

1. Paws2u

Paws2u Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I am getting 9-11 eggs a day and are having a difficult timing keeping up with when the eggs were laid. I am trying to sell them; I have a dedicated refrigerator just for the eggs; but, I am not able to sell them as fast as my girls are laying. So....can anyone give me an idea with how you keep up. I am going to have to give some away, I suppose. I guess I might have gotten in over my head. Thanks for you help. I truly need it. [​IMG]

2. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    How about giving some away to friends, family, coworkers, church, food bank, mens/womens shelters, senior center, ecumenical kitchen...

Does that help?! Congratulations on all the eggs.

Michele.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I take my extras to church, give to family and friends and my students.

I don't sell any just because I do it all for fun....

4. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Sell egg 'subscriptions' ... (be sure to tell folks that sometimes they don't lay as much as other times, so you're off the hook if they don't lay for any reason) In addition to your regular sales... If you're really overrun with eggs, give an extra dozen here or there to your regulars, they will love the idea of being able to forward them to a friend, who may in turn become a customer... that sorta thing

Good luck!

5. pkallaus

pkallaus New Egg

May 17, 2009
    Kailua,Hawaii
    I was in the same boat and went to the local health food store. They love local, free range eggs. After the second week I found I couldn't keep up with my local orders. Nice to have an outlet when the ladies get overproductive.

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    also, once in a while, you can scramble some up and give your chickens a treat! They will love it!

I seem to get a lot of eggs and them..boom.. they are gone.
    Every now and then I give some to family and neighbors that
    do not buy them from me normally. (I don't charge family anyways)
    also....

Egg salad takes quite a few eggs to make! It's almost time for me to make some here.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  7. Lil chick chick

Lil chick chick Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Nampa, Idaho
    Make the fam eggs for breakfast every morning, make quiche, it freezes great. Find lots of recipes that use alot of eggs. Try here www.allrecipes.com , great site. Try giving some to people you know, who are not already customers. That may get them hooked on your yummy eggs and make customers out of them. That's how I was "converted". My neighbor sells eggs, never bought em, never wanted to. She had extra and gave me 18 one day. I was kinda "grossed out" by it, don't know why. [​IMG] When I finally cooked one up and ate it, it changed my thinking entirely. I have not eaten a store bought egg since. Tomorrow I start my own coop and have already purchased 25 chicks to be delivered June 29th. So share the eggs, spread the joy, and you just might end up building your little business. Good Luck!

8. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a good problem to have!

9. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    We put a farm fresh egg sign in the yard with the price and I sold 6 dozen eggs today.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My DH takes all of ours to work and when they see them they buy them. If he takes orders no one ponies up. So, we take them to work....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by