How do you keep your chickens cool in hot, humid weather?

I haven't had a problem with the heat yet. BUT, I read in another thread to freeze water in your empty milk jugs. Throw one in the (large sized) waterer, and just lay them around. The chickens will sit near them to cool off. That's what I plan to do, when it gets too warm. Kathy

I read a thread a little while ago about watermelons. They're cool (if you refrigerate before serving) & hydrate your flock, since watermelons are mostly water.

My dh installed a large box fan in our coop. It points so the air blows downward and its very well ventilated as well. The chickens are scared to death of the fan tho
hu.gif
They refuse to go into the coop when its running and prefer it outside.

We provide lots of shade and water in the run. I figure if they have enough water to keep them hydrated...they should be okay
big_smile.png

edited to add: I forgot to mention that my dh picked up this mister thing @ Lowes the other day. It was only $10, my kids love it and I'm sure chickens would as well.

Last edited:
I have a water mister plus 2 windows on each side of the coop in the( back4x12 small) and narrow and the front has a picture
window covered with chx wire and a flap down shutter that comes down in the winter. I also keep a thermometor
to check on the heat levels and of course Cold watermelon..LoL
and some for me..

Today, I installed a 16" wall-mounted, oscillating fan in the coop...........
Makes a lovely breeze when there isn't one!!
All the chickens had just one thing to say........................"NICE"!!!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Last edited:
The vents are in, they have a mesh underneath the vents, it really made a difference in the hen house. It's cooler and it didn't let rain in from last nights storms.

I would have to get a battery operated fan for them, their henhouse is pretty small. And since it's an A-frame the top part is small but it does create a good convection to vent the heat.

I have been giving them watermelon and cantaloupe, they love it.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!
smile.png

A kiddie pool with just enough water for them to walk in. The water at around an inch deep. Mine love to go wading.

cool.png
I'm near Goodyear Arizona and it is really really HOT. Today in the shade 114. I lost one chicken yesterday
hit.gif
I give my girls ice about every 3 hours in their water and place ice in a terra cotta plant drain, I also water down the area for them to cool off. I did buy a Mister from HD. and am looking at getting them the pool.
I watch the feeding schedule as well; scratch in the AM and garden goodies in the afternoon evening, I like to give them watermelon, cantalope, lettuce and cool items. you should see them runnin:D
I decided about a month ago to let them wander in the garden area since it is cross fenced and the dogs stay out, the girls seem alot happier and now I am looking forward to October when I will get 10-15 more chickies.
With this heat laying eggs was not a priority for them. I sure understand that thinking
It has been a very hot and humid summer so far. I just hope I don't lose any more to this heat:('If anyone has any other suggestions Please let me know Email me...
Thanks Hotmama J

I use gallon milk jugs, juice bottles, 1 liter club soda and 22 oz soft drink bottles...freeze these daily...use my TSC yard wagon to haul them to the chicken run each day and back to the house at the end of the day.

Four juice bottles go in the cat litter bucket nipple waterer to chill the water, one of the 1 ltr soda bottles is hung on the side of a hutch in the run--as it melts they drink from it, gallon milk jugs go in 2 rabbit hutches and in 2 Rubbermaid containers turned on their side in the chicken run...the hens love these...they get in with the bottles...the girls sit on the bottles...I put some on top of the Rubbermaid feed box--they sit on these, too. When the day is done, I empty all the bottles on the sand in their run so that the sand is damp the next day. The girls love the damp sand; dig holes & sit n chill! I made a big puddle today and the girls had a blast wading in it; DH could not believe they were enjoying it so much. Plus I have a fan going 24/7. Tomorrow they will probably get some frozen yogurt/ripe bananas before I head out to PT.

I am new to chickens so would love advice about this as well, it gets really hot here (110 heat index all week this week). I have been coming home at lunch to put a large block of ice in their waterer so they can get cool water. We keep a box fan under the coop which is where they seem to hang out during the daytime and an oscillating fan in the coop at night. Silly chickens still cluster together and pant all night. They haven't figured out that if they spread out they will probably be cooler. When we let them out to free range in the evening after work, they all run under the tomato plants and the black berry bushes to peck around.

We built our coop more with heat in mind than cold (since we only get 10-20 days of freezing temps a year here). The coop is mostly framed hardware cloth on the floors and the walls. We placed a ridge vent in the roof. For winter we are planning on covering much of the walls with a temporary siding. I have been told that the composting bedding and chicken poo will provide some heat from under the coop.

I think I will put a baby pool in the run. That is a great idea. I have used the standing misters for us (the people) and they are great but they all seem to have a non-stop drip so I'm worried about the run getting really muddy.

Quote:
How many birds do you have? If there's only a few, put the hot ones (panting) in a full bucket of water. Chickens float really well and as soon as they get in the cool water, they settle down and get really calm. I watched one of mine, the first time. Her mouth slowly began to close and she looked so happy to be in there. Since I had never done it before, I stayed with her. The very instant her mouth went fully closed, she turned away and flew right out of the bucket. Then she tore up the grass and dislodged a worm and ran off with it. Clearly much happier than she was minutes before.

Back
Top Bottom