How do you keep your water from freezing?

Lots of good ideas.
If you are using straw bedding, it keeps the water from freezing so fast.
Warm water freezes faster. It’s tempting, but you will have ice sooner.
49C4856D-CD92-4F1D-89BA-0BD1ED0BC829.jpeg
597A5FD2-ECEC-4A03-BCC8-9458EA49925A.jpeg

Last edited:
How high do you have it up off of the ground? I have mine raised off the ground on a landscaping block. It brings it up high enough just so that the top slides right under the bottom of the coop. I use the 3 gallon heated chicken waterer (like you find at tsc). It’s got its problems - like when filling it up. However, it is working well. If the girls have gotten too much bedding in, I just scoop it out unless it’s really filthy. It gets changed every two days anyway.
I am thinking that once this one no longer works, I’m buying the heated dog bowl. I have read that you can take a full gallon jug and place it in the middle of the bowl to keep them from roosting on the bowl and tipping it over.

I use a 10"cookie tin fitted with a lamp kit. (Similar to @GC-Raptor) I place it on landscaping blocks for the base and then 4" railroad-type timbers (bigger than landscape timbers). Until about 15 degrees I use a 40 watt bulb, lower than that and I switch to 60 watt. I keep my water in the run in a plastic hanging waterer. I also plug the heater into a Thermo Cube that turns on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees. Seldom do we have to think about the higher temperature during our winters, until this year it appears. :confused: If you are interested you can get the plan on The Chicken Chick's web site. So it won't tip over I keep the hanger attached in case some hens decide to get rowdy! :lol:

I use a 5-gallon bucket with a horizontal nipple. Those don't leak... Inside, I have a de-icer, this one: https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Supplies/Perfect-Bucket-Heater-De-Icer-p2402.aspx It only uses 80 wats, and it turns off when the temp gets warmer. It only turns on when it's actually cold, and it only keeps the water above freezing, it does not heat the water. My water stays perfectly clean and the chickens can't get themselves wet with it. I've been really happy. I started using those horizontal nipples last year and now I won't use anything else, I like them so much. The de-icer is new this year. I've got two, for my two coops, and both are working really well. So far the water has not frozen and it's been getting down to 9F.

How cold are you and do you water inside or out? I use this set in the run where the sun can get to it when I have sunlight. I have others inside. It's high enough and has some protection to reduce them scratching trash in it though they will poop in it. If I set it in the sun it stays thawed into the lower 20's or colder, depends on the strength of the sun. When it freezes, like overnight or an a sunless day, I knock the ice out of it and refill it. Many mornings I just break up the ice on top.

Grow out Water.JPG

Hi all,
After talking to the woman at the local poultry supply store, I bought a heated dog bowl to use for our coop. Last week I switched to using that (instead of our galvanized waterer).

I'm already seeing some problems with it and things I don't like--chiefly that it's really easy for my Polish top hat to get her head feathers wet, which makes me worry about her on cold nights. But it also needs to be totally dumped almost daily, because it gets totally full of straw. Pretty sure the girls don't care if they poop in it, either.

So I'm wondering what people prefer? I saw a bunch of options on Amazon, ranging from $15-$70. I'd like something I can use with what we have already...

ETA: this is a small suburban flock. 4 hens and a small coop.
Getting it up off the ground might help, if it is on the ground.
I think it's was @Leahs Mom who came up with an interesting modification using a heated dog dish. Maybe she will chime in.
ETA: Here is her version:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/get-ready-for-winter.1205504/page-17#post-19279390

I DIY'd my heated waterer.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom