How do you know when to worm your chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by azygous, May 24, 2015.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have four that have "puddle poop". I can't recall the last time these hens, who have their own quarters separate from the flock, had solid poop.

I see no sign of worms in this liquid slop, but could worms be present anyway?

None are behaving as if they were sick. They lay normally.

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    This sounds like some of my chickens only mine are not laying yet. They seem healthy and happy but have very runny poop. I hope you can get some answers here that help your chickens.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I look for a decline in weight. I light burden for many is of no consequence. If weight declining and worm sign noted then treat. Consider possibility of a change in diet being the cause.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    By the time you see worms (and only some are big enough to see) you likely have a lot of parasites, especially in some of your birds. You can take samples to the vet to find out what's there, or use a broad spectrum wormer twice a year. Mary

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It occurred to me that perhaps eating too much green grass is the cause of this brown, sloppy poop. Has anyone noticed an over-indulgence of fresh spring grass causing brown-gravy poop?

In addition, a friend has been giving me bags and bags of her grass clippings for my compost piles. My chickens have been spending a lot of time in these clippings, too. It wouldn't surprise me that this might be the cause of the runny poop, not worms. None of these hens have lost any weight.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Cecal poo varies greatly with diet. Ample greens make for more, darker and to my nose less stinky cecal poo.

7. Smorz

Smorz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Just a note about grass clippings ... They can contribute to impacted crop. When grazing, chickens snip off pieces of grass. When fed clippings, they will eat it more like slurping spaghetti. Be on the lookout for symptoms.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Make certain grit in diet is sufficient. My birds consume 12 inch lengths of fescue without trouble.

1 person likes this.
  9. BryanH

BryanH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2015
    Does anyone know if using De-worming feed is a good way ?

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Deworming feed??? What's that? Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by