How do you know whose egg??

granolamommie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 10, 2009
idunno.gif
I have three hens, all in the same area. I am getting only one egg every day or every other day. How do I know who is laying and who isnt??

D.gif

first off, look for the one with the reddest comb. If they are all red, flip them over and look for the one with the pinkest, widest, moistest looking vent. If they all look the same, drop food coloring of different colors in each bird's vent. Supposedly it will tint the next egg to be laid and you will know then by the color who is laying what. Good luck, and DO post pics of whatever way you figured out the one laying! Lots of people want to know the answer to that and you can help everybody learn.

I borrowed my dh's game camera!!! I had guessed (correctly) which one was first because of her comb, rooster attention and her 'singing'...

Quote:
i could have used one of those cameras to figure out which ones were laying besides my one rhode island red and which of the 7 girls are peckign through the eggs.

Interesting post from Dixiedoodle about the game cam....I've been thinking about a remote cam fed into the computer to check out the ladies.
Also had a thought about doing a complete webcam for one egg from hatching to six weeks of age or so....I wonder if that would be feasable?

Back
Top Bottom