How do you like YOUR Anconas?

Quote:
These anconas will be holderreads stock. They are from bayyjayy, she got hers from boondockers, andbthey got theirs from holderreads, so they are pure stock I would hope.

Quote:
Im a very good sales lady!
big_smile.png
plus, nobody cares about rare here, but if they get rare ducks, then I am still populating my area with rare ducks. Get it?

Everyone around here seems to only want pekins, runners, and rouens. I wish they liked and had others, but everytime I look on craigslist that's all I can find.
roll.png
I'd rather have mutts than them, I like different.
wink.png
And I adore my ancona, I wish someone around here had them in chocolate, blue, or tri, I would love to get another.

Quote:
These anconas will be holderreads stock. They are from bayyjayy, she got hers from boondockers, andbthey got theirs from holderreads, so they are pure stock I would hope.

Even the best show stock can and will throw off young. That is what I was referring to for breeding. It's just like chickens, not every hatchling is worth keeping to breed from.

I love mine! They forage really well, and aren't loud very often. From time to time, like today with gusty October winds ruffling the trees, one or two hens will get quacking, scolding the trees or just hollering about how much they love swimming around, or yelling at the goats. Who knows. It's definitely my chocolates who are loudest, for some reason. I can't imagine one of my drakes going after a person. My oldest ones will be two years in April, no one's so much as hissed. They're really very calm, always mooching around for peas. The egg-laying has been phenomenal. Most days I get one from everyone. They're molting now so I'm getting 3-4 instead of 6-7 a day.

My favorite part though is seeing what comes out of the egg. I have three drakes now - a blue split for chocolate, a black who might be, and a young fellow of 8 weeks who is a really lovely lavender (possibly tricolor - I need to see if that patch on his back has grown in dark or not.) As for hens I have 6 chocolate, 4 black, 1 tricolor, 2 lavender, and 1 blue. So - hatching is FUN
big_smile.png
I mean it ALWAYS is, but you know what you're gonna get with, like, Pekins. With Anconas the suspense is awesome
smile.png

I sold my first babies this year and had no trouble selling them locally. I plan to raise and sell more in Spring, as well as ship eggs.

And they are big enough to eat, though I wouldn't skin one again. They're not very fatty so you want the skin on IMO.

Gosh I really need to take new pictures.

Quote:
I was just going to ask you to post pictures...or if you had, where!!! Do it, do it, DO IT!

X2

Back
Top Bottom