How do you maintain focus during lockdown? Day 16 going into Day 17 Stay-at-Home Quail Incubation

yolkoroo

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2011
So, we thought that it would be helpful to encourage some fun during our stay-at-home school and work during the Pandemic if we incubated quail instead of picking up chicks. We have always done day-old chicks (chickens) or re-homed chickens, which makes this our first incubation project and our first quail project. We have built and secured an outdoor habitat for the birds (this was a great family project that took a lot of time), we have the brooder ready, and we have carefully managed and recorded our daily temp and humidity data. Now we WAIT! We are now in day 16 going into day 17 and everyone in the house is getting stir crazy for some chicks and worrying themselves silly about the health/viability of our potential quail chicks. We have placed one of our indoor home security cameras at the window of the incubator to reduce the number of times that kids and adults are going in and out of the room where the chicks are (which is also my current office, maybe I should have thought that through too as it seems they may be louder when they hatch than I expected). Everyone can now access a view of about half of the 14 eggs and the temp/humidity readings from their phone...this will also capture motion and record hatching chicks which is ideal for all of us.

MY QUESTIONS: 1) What in the world do you do to distract yourselves when the hatch date is imminent, but uncertain in its exact timing during these last few days? Home school work has already been very disrupted. I suppose this is not terrible, but it is stressful for mom (me) trying to get kids to do their work (and to simultaneously do my own) with all the turmoil. 2) Do most really hatch on day 18 with the prescribed temps and humidity being kept very consistently? and, finally, 3) What is the longest you have waited for hatchlings?

Attachments

• IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 8
Hello! You have some very good questions and I am here to answer them for u! It take a lot of patience waiting for the little guys to start hatching, what I would do is search some cool facts about quail ( maybe you could watch a documentary on them with your kids.) It really depends on the quail when it comes to hatching, they don’t have a calendar like we do...so they will come when it’s go time for them. And thirdly, when I am hatching chickens, quail, ducks you name it, I always wait about 4-5 more days (after due date) to turn the bator off and call it done! Good luck and I hope u have a successful hatch!!

@Quailobsessed thanks for the response and that does make sense. I was talking to some older guys in my "neighborhood" (I do not live in an incredibly urban area) and they mentioned that there used to be a lot more quail around this area and they seemed to be almost non-existent these days. I had done some research on Quail conservation in our state and wondered if there was a place for raising quail to disperse into natural habitats. Haven't found anything more than conservation measures that work with restoring natural vegetative habitats. I do plan to only do this incubation once so hoping to have a natural hatch in the future. I have built a ground-based structure for them for this purpose as well.

@Quailobsessed thanks for the response and that does make sense. I was talking to some older guys in my "neighborhood" (I do not live in an incredibly urban area) and they mentioned that there used to be a lot more quail around this area and they seemed to be almost non-existent these days. I had done some research on Quail conservation in our state and wondered if there was a place for raising quail to disperse into natural habitats. Haven't found anything more than conservation measures that work with restoring natural vegetative habitats. I do plan to only do this incubation once so hoping to have a natural hatch in the future. I have built a ground-based structure for them for this purpose as well.

:yesss:

And...we no longer have to wait! The first chick hatched a little before 6 am this morning and a second by 8 am or so... So much fun!!! I have a couple of video links (I am also a teacher and am sharing as we go along with my students) as well as a pic of the two. The window is foggy, but you can still see the chicks.
Video of Hatch
Video of Getting its Land-Legs

Attachments

• twochicks.jpg
    twochicks.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 5
And...we no longer have to wait! The first chick hatched a little before 6 am this morning and a second by 8 am or so... So much fun!!! I have a couple of video links (I am also a teacher and am sharing as we go along with my students) as well as a pic of the two. The window is foggy, but you can still see the chicks.
Video of Hatch
Video of Getting its Land-Legs

:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

@FarmInProgress, that is a good point to wait several days in that this reminds us to have patience. I like your idea about a documentary- I will see what I can find today.

@Quailobsessed this is our first time to have quail and we hope that the process will occur naturally after this. Do you raise quail for repopulation (noticing your tag "raising birds with conservation in mind")? Curious about that.

@FarmInProgress, that is a good point to wait several days in that this reminds us to have patience. I like your idea about a documentary- I will see what I can find today.

@Quailobsessed this is our first time to have quail and we hope that the process will occur naturally after this. Do you raise quail for repopulation (noticing your tag "raising birds with conservation in mind")? Curious about that.

No I don't, but my mindset when raising any animal is to think about preserving the species. I try and do simple things like avoid inbreeding or hybridisation, and encouage my quail to brood their own chicks. My biggest concern would be say quail became endangered and we had plenty in captivity to help the wild population, but they were of no use because they were so inbred or they could even raise their own. It may be a silly thing to worry about, but conservation involves everyone fighting to protect the amazing animals on this earth.

Back
Top Bottom